15: duel

A few days later, the Nie sect leader and his two children arrived at Lotus Pier. "Welcome, sect Leader Nie," Jiang Fengmian greeted formally as he stood in front of his family, who were also bowing. "I hope the journey wasn't too strenuous."

"It wasn't bad at all," The man grinned, bowing as well. "Thank you for having us, Sect Leader Jiang."

"Of course," The two straightened. "Shall I guide you to the main estate?"

"Lead the way," the Nie sect leader agreed, then glanced down at his kids, one who was confidently standing at his side and the other that was hiding behind him. "Come A'Jue, A'Sang," He said, putting a hand on the latter's back to move him from behind his leg.

"Yes father," Nie Mingjue replied while his brother made a noise of protest, but eventually they all made it to the main hall.

"So this must be Wei Kuo," The sect leader smirked down at the boy in front of him, to which said person smiled and bowed.

"It's an honor to meet sect leader Nie," Wei Kuo said, straightening.

"I've heard a bit about you, and I can't wait to see you in action," He grinned with his hands on his hips. "And depending on what I see, we might be seeing each other more often."

"I'd like that," The two smirked at each other. Everyone around them sweatdropped. "Why don't we sit down and talk for a bit before we get into the show?" The boy suggested, figuring the other adults weren't sure how to transition the conversation.

"Ah, that's right," The sect leader agreed. Thus, everyone took a seat at the place mats, and then the Nie sect leader looked at his youngest son.

"Why don't the kids go have a round-about of Lotus Pier and get to know each other?" He brought up, nudging the boy who looked absolutely aghast.

"That sounds like a good idea," Madame Yu smiled. "A'Cheng, why don't you take the lead?"

"As you wish, mother," He stood with a nod, and with that, the five who had yet to reach adulthood trode out of the main hall with Jiang Cheng heading them.

"My father has been talking about you since he came back from the discussion conference," Nie Mingjue said as he strode next to Wei Kuo, who blinked a few times.

"Hello to you as well," He eventually chuckled, then stopped and held out his hand. "I'm Wei Kuo, nice to meet you."

"I'm Nie Mingjue," He introduced himself, shaking the boy's hand. "You have a good grip."

"I'm just matching yours," Wei Kuo replied with a smile, and they let go as the Nie heir smirked.

"Alright Wei Kuo, I challenge you to a duel."

"And I accept your challenge, Nie Mingjue," He said, and those around them sweatdropped. Couldn't they just wait? Nie Huaisang asked himself as he flapped his fan. I know they were already planning on sparring to see how good Wei Kuo is, so what's the rush?

"Haa.." He sighed, then jerked slightly as he saw that Wei Wuxian was staring at him. And then he was grinning with his hand outstretched.

"Wanna go hunt some pheasants?" He asked, using his free hand to pull Jiang Cheng to his side. "We can also go take a dip if you want!"

"I-It's almost December though..." Nie Huaisang stammered, looking a bit blue at the thought. Wei Wuxian just laughed as Jiang Cheng shoved him.

"Pheasants aren't even out this time of year, moron! And who wants to go swimming with you?!" He demanded, huffing with a shake of his head as his friend kept giggling.

"Come on Jiang Cheng! It'll be fun!"

"You want our guest to get sick on their first day here?!"

"He won't get sick!"

"Anyone other than you will get sick from swimming in late november, Wei Wuxian!" The two bickered, one much less seriously than the other, but the young Nie could see that this was something that usually happened, and that they were both happy to get out of the awkwardness. So, he chuckled and hid most of his face behind his fan as he watched them argue, mostly forgetting that the two older kids had left to go duel.

There they were, at the training grounds, where everyone had cleared the way for the two to do as they wished. Most of the Jiang disciples were very excited to see Wei Kuo get his ass handed to him by the famed heir of Nie Sect. And so, a referee was set. "On your mark," The chosen disciple said, raising his hand as the two fighters readied themselves. "Begin!" His hand dropped.

Their blades clashed. Both boys were grinning as they parted, struck again, and again. Juedui was humming in anticipation, excited to be facing a worthy opponent rather than being used as a lesson teacher. Baxia seemed to agree with how well it was dancing with Juedui. It almost felt the like two boys wielding their swords were only being used to execute a dance instead of an actual fight.

However, neither was angry with that fact. The saber slashed, and the sword blocked, only to strike back. Nie Mingjue was grinning, and Wei Kuo was mirroring. The Jiang disciples could all see that this was a match of the century. However, if Madame Yu had been present, she would have noticed how much Wei Kuo was holding back from how their fight had gone, all those months ago.

So it wouldn't have surprised her that Nie Mingjue's saber was forced out of his hands, and the duel was called and announced in Wei Kuo's victory. Nie Mingjue pursed his lips, and then he was full on laughing. "Haha wow! That was incredible!" He beamed as he patted Wei Kuo on the back as they stood together in front of the gaping Jiang disciples.

"You were pretty good yourself, Nie Mingjue," Wei Kuo laughed, sheathing his sword.

"What's your sword's name?" His new friend asked as he retrieved his saber. "My saber is Baxia."

"My sword's name is Juedui," He answered, and the other smirked.

"I've never heard such a perfect name for a sword."