Chapter Thirteen

We're doing our best to fight the bandits that attacked our camp but there are too many of them. We're losing. We can't keep them back forever. That's when something strange happened. They retreated. They were winning but retreated. They run back into the woods as fast as they could. They all run off laughing. They didn't even take any supplies. They just attacked and left as if they did it for a bit of fun. "That was weird," I said.

"Well, they got what they wanted," Kay said, confusing me.

"What do you mean? They didn't take any supplies and we're all safe."

"All safe, are we?" Kay said as she waved her arms around the camp. I look around and that's when I realise. Layla's gone.

"They were after Layla?" I asked, confused.

"My guess is they were after which any one of us they could get them hands on first."

"Why?"

"To keep as bait."

"Well, we have to go save her," I ordered.

"Did you not just hear me? They took her as bait. She's being used to set a trap to capture us as well. They want us dead."

"I don't care. We need to save her. They're going to kill her. She's all alone. She's probably scared of her mind. Doesn't get what's going on. She need's our help." I know Kay doesn't see us as friends but I can't save her by myself. Kay clearly doesn't care about Layla. She doesn't even use our names. But I need her, she clearly knows the bandits so she can help. "Please Kay. Layla needs us."

"And we need to get to the mountain. She's being held captive a two-day journey from here and then it's less than a day journey to the mountain from there."

"So, you know where the bandits are keeping her?" I asked.

"Yes but we won't make it there, to the mountain and back to the king in time."

"I understand that but Layla needs help. I can't do this without you. You clearly know these people and the place."

"Fine but you owe me." Is Kay kidding me? At least I got her to agree to help. All that matters is rescuing Layla. I may lose my chance to prove myself but this is what my dad would do. Friends are more important. Kay shows where on the map the bandit's base is, it's at the edge of the forest. I hope Layla will be okay. We pack up and head off. We're coming Layla.