Part One

Angel Heart: A One Direction Fan Fiction

Inspired by ‘I’m Yours’ by the amazing (and Irish) The Script.

This is basically a super long one shot divided into five parts. First part is in the smut collection, just to let you know.

Love, Em

~

  Liam was born with life threatening conditions.  There was a hole in his heart septum between his atria (a hole that should have closed up in the last week before his birth) which required the doctors to do an open-heart surgery the hour he was born.

  A few months later, the doctors found out that one of Liam’s kidneys wasn’t functioning properly.  Another surgery and the doctors prescribed him over thirty injections a day.  Liam despised those.  Those medical tortures he had to get through every day meant that he was weak.  pathetic.

  When Liam was eight, he was wheeled into the emergency room unconscious.  His heart was barely beating and his skin had taken on a greyish tint.  The doctors did a quick scan on the boy and found out that the walls of his left ventricle weren’t as thick as they should be.  The muscles were not strong enough to pump blood out into every arteriole and capillary bed in his young body.  There was little the doctors could do but place a small electric shocker that helped the muscles contract with enough power to keep the boy alive.

  One week after the surgery, Liam woke to a whispered singing.  The surgery had taken quite a toll on him and caused him to sleep for a week even without the medications.  His body needed the time to heal, operate at minimal capacity. Liam thought that maybe he died and went to heaven.  The voice was on the high side for a lad but it was beautiful nonetheless.  It sounded angelic to Liam’s ears.

  “Good, you’re awake,” the guy said. “I’m Louis.  First year in med school and working a volunteer job is required.  I wanna be a doctor later on but for now, I have to settle for nursing.”

  The younger lad opened his mouth to say hi but found his windpipe blocked by something.

  “Oh sorry.  I guess I should take it out.  This is gonna hurt a bit.” Louis walked over to the head of the bed and gave him an apologetic smile before leaning down to tug the breathing tube out his throat.  Liam sputtered and choked, tears flowing past his eyes.  Then he felt his empty stomach give a violent lurch.  Louis must have been anticipating it because he thrust a bin under his chin for him to throw up spit and stomach acid. The contents burned up on their way and more tears stung his eyes.

  “Shh, it’s okay.  This is a normal reaction.  Now the heart monitor will have to stay on for a couple more days to be extra sure.  I’ll let your doctor know and they will probably let you have liquid or puree food this evening.  Tomorrow morning by the latest.  You’ll be allowed to eat solid food in a few more days.  Until the official orders come, you can have water or juice that isn’t too sweet.  If you need anything, press the button on your left side, ‘kay?”

  Liam nodded, feeling his eyelids drooping already.  Louis smiled again and exited the room.

  Next time Liam came around was a day and a half later, around midnight.  Stupid steady beeps of  the EKG were such a bugger.  He glanced at the digital clock on the bedside table and sighed.  There was a reason why he hated getting surgeries: they tired him out like no other.  He bet that he would be going back to school in a week or so.  When he got back, he would get teased again, he knew that.