XIII

Brigid laughed. Really laughed. Happiness filled her chest as she looked at the river, a rainbow of otherworldly colors shining right below the surface. One of her childhood dreams had come true. And it was right in front of her very eyes.
Crouching in front of it, she looked over at Fallon, who nodded and grinned at her. Plunging her hands into the water, she scooped two handfuls of jewels into her hands and let out a breath at the beauty, the magic of something that had just been... a story. Emeralds, diamonds and rubies dropped back into the clear water as something shot through with magnificent blue encased by a cloudy gold. Picking it up, it sat perfectly in her palm.
It was the most beautiful jewel she had ever seen.
"Croí an Spéir." Fallon said in a whisper, her breath grazing Brigid's ear, making her shiver. "Heart of the Sky."
"It's beautiful." Brigid smiled, turning her head to look at her.
Fallon studied her for a moment, her eyes widening almost imperceptibly, but Brigid noticed. She waited for her to comment on why she was looking at her in such an odd way. But she didn't.
Fallon cleared her throat. "The Heart of the Sky... it's never been found. It's said that it gives the right person the power that they need in enduring their missions, conquering their feats. It's said that if you look closely enough, you can see where each path you choose will take you."
Brigid looked at it once more, letting herself drown in the small canyon of blue that cleaved itself down the center of it. Her vision swam and she grew lightheaded. Stumbling backwards, she felt Fallon's arms go around her and hold her steady.
"Brigid?"
Fallon's voice was distant.
Her vision tunneled and winked out.