XVI

Brigid wasn't someone who could hold her tongue. But she tried her best as they came upon the town that had buildings towering so tall that she swore domes were built into them so anyone inside could witness the vastness of the night sky. It was unlike any other city she had ever ventured to. Kellan may have stumbled upon something like this in his travels, but she had never.
The shop windows displayed so many beautiful things, some things she had no idea what they even were. They displayed racks and spools of beautiful, colorful fabrics along with children's toys, some shown decadent food, others showcased swords and knives, boots and flowers. The people chattered in front of the windows and looked at her in an odd way as they passed. And Fallon even more so. Except Fallon smiled at them as they passed, or nodded at the men who looked her from head to toe, sizing her up like an opponent.
Fallon grabbed her hand as they walked down a back alley at the end of a street and she glared, trying to snatch her hand back. Except her grip only tightened.
"You mustn't walk without an escort here, my lady. The men are quite... unpredictable."
"I can protect myself." Brigid shot back, then noticed a group of men huddled in a doorway, snickering over something being held between them.
As one of the men turned his head to look at them, his eyes fell directly on her, a disgusting smile showing his stained yellow teeth. Brigid clasped her other hand onto Fallon's arm and pressed herself more securely against her side. She wished they had the horses and had stuck to a different path.
If there was one.
But they had left them at the stables to be properly fed and watered for however long they were to stay in this city. So, hopefully they would gain quite a good rest as well.
"Just through here, my lady." Fallon murmured as she guided her into a little hole in the wall doorstep. Knocking in an elaborate pattern, Brigid heard a bolt being unfastened and another grating sound that had to be of another means of keeping unwanted visitors out that sounded like solid metal.
When the door opened, a fiery redhead that barely reached Fallon's shoulders, stood in front of them, an eyebrow raised as she seen Brigid first... then the dazzling smile that graced her face as she looked up at Fallon. But that smile faltered when she seen how much of a grasp Brigid had on her arm and hand. Releasing it, she awkwardly stepped a foot to the side.
"Why, hello there. You are indeed a most lovely surprise for my tired eyes." The woman said in a voice that dripped like honey.
Even her voice was beautiful.
Fallon reached for the woman's hand and raised it to her lips, kissing her knuckles. Annoyance pricked Brigid like a burr.
"It hasn't been too long, Riona." Fallon chuckled, releasing her hand. "May we come in?"
Judging brown eyes met her own and she looked back at her. "Pleasure to meet you, Riona. I'm Brigid."
She nodded and gave her a faint smile, stepping aside so they could walk in. Fallon walked ahead of her, obviously knowing exactly where she was.
"Do you mind if we borrow some clothes? We have an... engagement tonight." Fallon turned on her heel to smile at them both.
It was the first Brigid was hearing of any engagements. She thought they were just stopping so Fallon could talk to an informant and then they would be leaving.
"She can borrow a dress of mine if you're going where I think you are, if she doesn't mind, of course." Riona walked to Fallon and let a finger trail across her shoulders. "You still have some things here."
She disappeared into the back room and Brigid glared at Fallon, which she promptly noticed.
Raising her hands in front of her, she smiled gently. "I was going to tell you about it once we were settled, my lady."
"Before or after you bed that woman?" She shot.
"She already has." Riona chuckled, tossing a dress at Brigid.
Blood rushed to her cheeks and Brigid took the dress and any words she had left to say, to the room to dress for whatever Fallon had planned.