Chapter 6

When Vern dropped April off at her apartment later that night, she was excited. She had a big story she had always wanted, and she was going to be able to complete her later father's work.

But it all hinged on the turtles and she didn't know how to find them. It was time to do what reporters do best. Shira was in the room, looking at the stars. Her necklace glowed on her neck. April's expression changed into a worried look of despair. "You seemed worried," said April. 

Shira turned to look at her best friend. "I wonder why you tried to tell everyone that you saw," she asked.

"I don't know. At least you believe me. I really miss my father before he died in the fire," said April. Shira's blind eyes looked at the moon, as April gave her friend a hug. She grabbed her laptop and pushed the power button. The screen came to life and exploded with color and light.

She started to research the vigilante. Video game music blared loud from the speakers and an animated manga turtle appeared across the screen. "Your computer has been hacked by the amazing Donatello!" a recorded voice announced. April and Shira watch the message, the manga turtle giggling slightly at its charm. It was an invitation to meet the Turtles on the roof where they first encountered them.  "Remember me? Turtle. Four eyes. But enough about me. We told you we'd find you. Meet us here on the rooftop. And come alone. Or... Or else we're... You shall be punished and stuff."

Well, Shira thought to herself,  finding those guys wasn't so hard after all.

An hour later, April and Shira came to the roof. April had to carry Shira since she could not use the ladder with her wheelchair. Around them, lights and sounds of New York City filled the night. Someone approached them. Well, at least three of them. "Reika. Tomoka. Manako. What are you doing here?" Shira asked. 

"Who knows? This boy just told us here," Tomoka told her, wearing her blue jacket. Beside her, Manako was holding her hand and wearing a ribbon lace scarf. Reika jumped on to the floor, with a strawberry lollipop in her mouth. It was actually one of Reika's favorite sweets. "It's nice to see you again," said April. It seems that Shira's sisters came to her when the invitation had entered their computers.

"So how did you get here?" she asked.

"A long story, " said Tomoka. "But he told us that he wanted us to meet at the roof and tell us not to bring anyone else, so here we are." 

For a long light pause, the five humans look around for the vigilantes. "Hello?" April called. "You told us to come here." 

"I didn't bring anyone with me. But my sisters came along. I did exactly..." stammered Shira.

Before she could respond, a cold breeze rustled past them. She detected a noise. Something tapping around. Footsteps? she wondered. No. That's impossible. It couldn't be the Foot Clan. They already disappeared. If it wasn't the Foot Clan or some crook who steals stuff like money, who was it?

There was a swift sound that came from one of the corners. Strange eyes glowing in the darkness. She became aware of someone behind her little sister. "Manako, don't move," said Shira. 

"Why?" asked Manako. 

"There's a giant turtle behind you," said Reika, her eyes wide, she was pointing forward. 

"Giant turtle? What turtle?" Manako looked around.

She didn't see anyone here, nothing in front or the back of her. "No, I mean, really, he's behind you," whispered Tomoka frantically. Manako took a slight turn to the figure. And then, she did a logical thing she thought of. She screamed.