What Are Friends For?

Italics = Jo's inner monolouge
Bold = Flashback
Normal = Present time, thoughts, quotes, etc.
Underline = Phone calls and Texts

Nora Ephron once wrote, "Men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way."

But we're making work, Amore. Keeping it simple. We're friends.

I look over to Amore, he holds up a peach and gives me an innocent look.

Dirty thoughts go through my head as I smile back.

Just friends.

Calvin next to me, brings me out of my thoughts.

"Want you to know I wouldn't blame you. It's a tough scenario when they go full frat fuckboy on ya." He says as Amore goes back to his food.

"Oh, come on. He's... our boss." I shrug, Calvin gives me a knowing look before walking away.

And it's for the best. Can you imagine what I'd do to Calvin if we were together? Or worse, what I might do... to you?

~*~

I open my locker and see a lemon pie that Amore had left me.

You leave me gifts every day. I enjoy them as friendly offerings. I can't let them mean anything more because you-- Oh, this is phenomenal.

We still spend time together. Between your busy work schedule and volunteering at a soup kitchen... you could use all the help you could get.

It's not that I don't want you. We have a connection, something deep.

But the last time I loved someone... Well, I can't risk repeating history.

So really, this is me protecting you by being your friend.

I smile as my phone buzzes to reveal a message from Amore.

A: Hey- you watching BAKING?!

You see? This is easy.

A: Oily Host Man wants to bang that cookie lady so hard.

Platonic.

W: The power of a well-done croquembouche.
A: And a well-cupped rack.

Safe.

W: Those chai chelsea buns are too wet.
A: No such thing as too wet.

Just friends.

~*~

"I don't know, hon." Willow draws on the door, "From what you're telling me, it would be easier for you and this dude to... smash." She finishes before sitting back.

"Don't say 'dude'." I correct her.

"Guy friend? You won't tell me his name, so... You gonna guess or what?" She points at the ketchup on the door.

"T. E. S. M." I list out letters, finally getting one right.

"Hon, slow down. You'll be dead before you kiss the man." She writes the first letter, "Hint, it's a place."