Many Layers Make a Man

Chapter Two | Many Layers Make a Man

When he sees her next, it comes as something of a surprise. It has been several weeks, and though many a British officer has come through the doors of Rivington's Corner, he hasn't discovered anything of note to pass along to Culper. No dark conspiracies or important intelligence; nothing that would require him to take out another advertisement in Rivington's Gazette. There should be no reason for her arrival here, at least not on his end, which can only mean that something is occurring with Culper himself.

Now, Robert Townsend is a very logical sort of man. He values rationale over whimsy; strategy over impromptu absurdities. This sensible foundation is the very cornerstone of his character and has been for as long as he can recall. Logic is what drives him. It should be said, then, that logic is not what drives Margot Risdon – or at least not the same sort of logic.

"What are you doing here?" Robert demands in an undertone when he meets her at the counter. He places a pitcher of ale onto the surface of it, half-empty from the rounds that she had interrupted upon her arrival. The cloth that he had draped over his arm is thrown down beside the pitcher with an impatient sort of energy that is derived entirely from her unexpected presence, and what it could mean. His mind spins with the implications of it, trying to understand.

Margot sends him a wide smile that does nothing to mitigate the edge of fear that has cropped up within him. This is how it always is, these days. Spying is the devil's work and goes against the inherent Quaker parts of him, which also build upon the foundation of his character. It had taken some time and quite a lot of convincing for Robert to agree to join the Culper ring in the first place. The reasons for his initial rebuttal were not only because of the sin brought upon by lies and deceit, but also because of the danger to himself and to his family. If he gets caught as a spy, the Continental army won't be able to help him. He is behind the lines in British-occupied New York and therefore at their mercy. Spies are the underbelly of society, worse even than whores and anarchists.

"I'm visiting my cousin," is Margot's response. She glances off to the side for a split second before leaning against the counter and purring, "And I'm here to see you, of course, Robert. I missed you."

Not being one to receive such declarations, Robert is momentarily taken aback by the brazenness of it all, until he remembers that they are supposed to be childhood friends and not new acquaintances. This reminder, however, does little to quell his rising impatience.

Robert sends her another of his hawkish stares.

"...Is that the only reason you're here?" he quietly demands, eyeing her with just a hint of the distrust he feels. It leaks into his gaze even as he tries to squash it down. Not that he cares if this woman sees it for what it is, but they do have a role to play beneath the watchful eye of the patrons.

The true nature of his question is apparent enough. He's asking if Culper had actually sent her, and if there's something going on that he should know about. But Margot only waves a hand dismissively and lightly replies, "Of course. I told you the last time that I would be making frequent trips to visit my cousin, regardless of...current events."

His eyebrow twitches at that, mainly from her boldness. Current events, indeed.

Before he can interrogate her any further, Rivington flounces over and eagerly greets, "Miss Risdon, how nice to see you again! Are you here to surprise Robert?" Then he chuckles, "The man could use some excitement in his life!"

Robert resists the urge to roll his eyes. He exchanges a dry look with Margot, who is smiling in amusement. The both of them know that his life is plenty exciting enough. In fact, if anything, he'd much prefer far less excitement.