Dreams Come in With The Changing Tide

Chapter Nine | Dreams Come in With the Changing Tide

True to his word, Robert's trip to Setauket does indeed seem to have been a one-off. It doesn't stop Margot from checking the daily Gazette, though, combing through it each day for his signal. But, each day, there is no advertisement for French Raspberry Brandy, and as the weeks turn to months, she begins to wonder if she has truly seen the last of him after all.

It is not a pleasant thought, but if she's being honest with herself, her disappointment is not because of his withdrawal from their cause in itself. She had hoped that he might eventually look beyond the betrayal that Abe and Caleb had bestowed upon him, if not for the rebel cause then for her. But the continue silence seems to dictate otherwise, and she begins to lose hope that anything might grow between them. It's silly of her to have hope at all when she ought to be more focused on keeping one eye open for Culper, but she can't help herself. She never would have thought that her acquaintanceship with Robert would turn into something so much deeper, and she is both desperate to hear from him and embarrassed to think that it must have been one-sided after all, for surely he would have contacted her in some way if it was not.

She does receive a letter from Samuel Townsend about a month after the Continental army had routed the British at Middlebrook, though it does not bring her any relief of Robert's silence. It is given to her through Abe, and not by the usual means of post, most likely to ensure that it is not read by anyone who would pose a danger to their operation. Through his letter, his father informs her that he had made one final attempt at convincing his son to rejoin Culper, but had failed.

'He is a stubborn man, as you know by now,' he had written, 'and I fear he will not be moved to change his mind. Perhaps if you were to go to him and speak to him directly – '

But she cannot. The thought of traveling to Rivington's Corner to see Robert when he has not made any attempt to contact her in months, especially after she had kissed him, fills her with uncertainty.

As fate would have it, though, her cousin Beatrice ends up calling her to the city some weeks after she receives Samuel's correspondence, with news that she is with child. Her words are flighty, nervous things, worrying over how her pregnancy might be poorly impacted by her feeble health, and she begs Margot to come and see her to set her mind at ease.

'Only for a day or two, at the very least. Oh, Margot, you always know just the right thing to say and I am in earnest need of your council!'

So, after speaking briefly with Abe and then Mr. Woodhull on the matter, Margot packs a small bag and is given a pass into the city, though she is very reluctant to go, for one reason: Abe is convinced that her presence will be just what Robert needs to continue his work, and is in high spirits despite Margot's continued warnings to the contrary.

"He won't listen to me," she tries to tell him when he comes to her house to see her off. She's in the midst of folding a spare gown to wear once she arrives in York City, but pauses to cast Abe an impatient look. "No matter our...friendship," she hedges, "he has already made up his mind and I won't be able to change it, Abe."

But Abe is adamant that she at least try and she reluctantly concedes, though with little hope. After all, if Robert's own father couldn't convince him, she doubts that she can. Her trip ends up being far more lucrative than she expects, however.

"Margot! You've come, thank goodness!" Beatrice exclaims when the servant shows her to the drawing room in which Beatrice is occupying. Her cousin tosses aside the needlework she had been doing and throws her arms around Margot's shoulders, embracing her tightly. She looks to be in good health today. Her skin has a healthy glow and is not drawn or pale as it had been the last time Margot had seen her. It certainly makes her wonder why Beatrice had been so adamant that she come to York City at all.