Prologue

It's about two months into junior year, and I'm just starting here. In a new home. In a new high school.

I hated moving. Constantly trying to make new friends who I'm sure to lose. Just meeting so many people is hard. Especially when you get so attached to them, then you have to go. And just leave them. You have to leave everything behind. It just hurts.

"Ally Singleton?" The lady in the main office asks as soon as I open my mouth.

"Yeah," I let out a small laugh before smiling.

"Well, welcome to Harrison High School," she smiles at me, showing her perfect white teeth.

"Thank you. Um, do I have to find my way around?" I ask.

"Oh, most definitely not. We already chose one. Scarlett, come here," she says standing to look over my arm.

I turn towards where she's looking. It's at this girl with almost platinum blond hair. She's wearing shorts that aren't long enough to cover much, and a crop top. On her feet are combat boots that seem to be falling apart.

"What is it this time Marion?" She asks looking at her fingernails.

I can already tell she is annoyed, and it seems like she'd rather be anywhere but here.

"Ms.Carter," she says to Scarlett, "this is Ally. She is our new student. Would you be a dear, and show her around," she says more than asks. I can see that they have a bad relationship with each other. Both of them obviously see that each are trying to annoy the other.

"Great," she says sarcastically. "Where's your schedule?" She asks, turning to me.

I don't answer, not because I'm scared of her, but because I find no need to say anything at the moment. Instead I just hand her my schedule.

"Math, first." She looks at me. "Me too. Let's go."

She grabs her book bag off of the floor and leaves out the door. Not even attempting to wait for me. I rush out the door to follow after her.

"Keep up. People are rough out here." I can slightly hear her laugh over the chatter from the people in the hallway.

"Sorry," I say once I catch up with her. "You just left so quick I couldn't-"

She cuts me off.

"It's okay. I'm just warning you."

"Okay," I say because I didn't know what else to say.

We make it to the math room, but she doesn't go in.

"Here you go," she says before turning around.

"Wait!" I yell, and she slowly turns around.

"Yes?"

I don't say anything for a second. Unsure of what I actually called her for.

"Thanks," I say.

She nods her head with the smallest hint of a smile before turning around and walking off.

This time I don't stop her.

I walk into my math class and sit two rows from the back. There was only a few people in here. The teacher wasn't even here.

I take out my notebook and write the date. I don't know what we were learning so I just sit and wait.

The first bell rings, and the teacher comes in. He is an average height for a middle-aged man and has brown hair with a couple gray hairs coming out.

He puts his coffee and a couple of books on the desk in front of the class.

"Good morning." He clasps his hands together.