Chapter Ten: I'm the Subject of Teenage Gossip

Authors Note:
Special thanks to Pebblebean and Underyourspell for being dedicated readers. Anyway I tried to make this longer, I hope you all like it.
*~*~*~*~*~*

"Hey Claire!" A voice rang out in the distance.

I looked up from the calculus homework that I had been doing and saw that it was Liz. Apparently Liz, bless her heart, had forgotten that the library was supposed to be quiet. "Hey," I greeted in response. "How has your week been?"

"It's been pretty good, choir won the district competition so next week we go to state. What's been up with you?" She hyperily replied.

"My friends: calculus, french, and AP Bio." I replied.

"Ouch." She commented.

"Yup, life's a party." I replied.

"Speaking of parties, I heard that your sister was throwing a grand back to school bash. Is that true?" Liz asked with excitement coursing through her entire being. Someone must have dumped extra sugar in their cereal this morning.

"Let's just say that if I find anyone doing unholy things in my bedroom, library, or anywhere else in my house, there will be no more parties. Ever." I answered.

"Awesome." Liz said. "What's Em planning?" She asked.

"As of yesterday, Em was thinking of a black and white tie event. Fancy banquet dresses for girls and tuxes/suits for guys, and maybe masks. I personally think masks are a terrible idea because they make people think that they can do whatever they want and have no repercussions. Em's putting a lot of effort into this, it's one of her favorite things to do." I explained to her.

"When do you think she's gonna throw it?" She asked while toying with the phone in her fingers.

"I think it'll be New Year's Eve." I replied quietly drumming the pen in my hands against my notebook. "At first she thought about throwing it as a back to school party, but then she decided to wait so she could build up her status."

"New Year's Eve?" She echoed. "You'll be competing with Sierra; she always throws a New Year's Eve party. She'll do anything she can to stop you if she catches wind of this. Be careful and and you can outshine Sierra. You've already kicked her off the throne, now you have to get rid of her royal status." Sierra warned me with a serious look on her face, which was as common as a blue moon.

"We've "de-throned" her?" I asked suddenly interested.

"Well..." she said hesitantly. "Some people call it other things, but yeah in a general sense, you've knocked the queen off her throne. Her popularity was fragile before you even came here, you just sort of... tipped the balance. Sierra Jameson is popular because one, her brother is really good at football, two, her family is one of the oldest and richest families around, second to you of course, and three, she is ruthless. If you can throw a party that is more popular than hers, Sierra's reign of terror and high heels will be over."

"I'll leave the party planning to Em." I said finally. As much as I hated parties, the idea of Sierra Jameson at the bottom of the social ladder really made me happy.

"If you really want to boost your popularity, you and Em should try out for cheerleading. Sierra is a co-captain, though. You do have one thing going for you if you decide to do try out. I'm the other captain." She smiled and flipped her red hair. "You better be at tryouts." And then she walked off. "See ya later."

For the rest of my free period, I sadly hung out with my friend AP Calculus.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I was walking to AP Calculus, (I had just barely finished the homework the period before. Senioritis was really hitting the seniors hard.) When something hit me from the side. That something was a door, and I had to admit that the guy behind the door really made up for it. Let's just say that I was a sucker for blue eyes. "Ouch, um thanks for that. I really wanted a door to hit me right then." Even though he was super cute, I was still going to give him a piece of my mind.