Chapter 3

The door slammed to Sammi Yancy’s apartment. Her place was the closest, so it seemed only reasonable that they go argue at her place; it was private.

“You can’t just start screaming in the squad room!” Sammi found herself lecturing.

“We need to settle this regardless of what they think!” Jessye was referring to all of her male colleagues.

They don’t even know how I feel; they didn’t even know there was a problem until you started freaking out!” Sammi was starting to lose her temper.

Yancy knew she crossed the line when she accused Jessye offreaking out.

“So now I’m freaking out! I don’t know what it is with you! Did you expect me to fall into your arms and confess my undying love when you told me how you felt?” Jessye wanted to take those words back as soon as they left her mouth.

Sammi had a pain in her eyes that only a person she truly cared for could cause. She stood dumbfounded staring at the shorter detective, and then felt her knees start to slowly give. She sat down on her rugged lazyboy.

“I guess you’re right, I did expect too much, and didn’t know enough…” Sammi’s voice was so low and solemn that she didn’t think that Jessye heard her.

“Sam, I didn’t mean it like that, it’s just that it is complicated. You know?” Jessye was determined to fix things with her longtime partner and best friend.

Sammi just sat motionless staring out the window. She hadn’t realized it until now, but her eyes were filled with tears, and her entire body felt stiff. She needed sleep lots of sleep.

“Sammi? Sam, are you crying? Look at me please, can we talk about this, it’s not as if I have no feelings for you at all…” Jessye realized how much she did actually care for her partner and not just in the friendly sort of way.

“Jess, can we please just get through today, and then you can yell at me, or hit me, or be angry with me tomorrow?” She wiped the tears from her eyes and walked to the door, suggesting she wanted to leave.

Jessye simply nodded, then walked out the door into the musty hallway. Sammi followed and quickly tried to compose herself before she headed back to the station. She knew there would be looks, many looks.

Back at the station Detective Yancy’s prediction was accurate; there were tons of eyes on the female detectives. Luckily they were just there to pick up some addresses and then were heading out to search dozens of warehouses.