Maddie

We stepped off the plane. Through the black unwelcoming tunnel with our suitcases rumbling along the carpet, we slowly trickled off of the aircraft.

I should be happy.
It's good to be back, right?

Rain. Great, delightful, thanks for the reception UK. Greece feels like a world away, a parallel perfect universe with exotic food and exotic men. The only man I need or want is Owen, but not here, not like this. There is such a weird feeling of relief combined with confusion that has overwhelmed me returning here.

It's good to be back, right?

"Aahh, it's nice to return to normal temperatures again, I've had enough of overheating in the shade, haven't you?" Owen asks cheerfully. "Mads... Maddie?" He questions.

"What? Oh right, erm yeah. Sorry I was in my own world. Can we eat I'm starving!" I say changing the subject.

After we ate we stepped out the airport to leave the ringing of terminal and flight check announcers behind. 3 hours car journey, 2 stops at service stations and 4 coffees later we were stood in the measly kitchen of 77 Quebec Road.

The tile effect wallpaper with Italian coffee names was ripping at the corners of the walls. The tap dripping. All these individually miserable symbols that I had somehow never noticed before, I was noticing then.