Owen

A fresh wave came over me as I stepped into the kitchen. We had a sense of possession here, we have marked our territory and built our house, and it felt good to be back in it.

Maddie didn't look so sure, however beautiful as ever. Like a tropical Grecian flower. I sighed.

"Oh for fucks sake, I left the milk in the fridge!" I exclaimed. 2 weeks I had it in there. I'm surprised the neighbours didn't wonder what kind of science project was going on in here; eugh.

Maddie came over to rest her head on one side of my chest whilst in mid hug, resting her palm face down on my lower shoulder. Chuckling, she looked up at my head. "Some things never change, eh?" She asked referring to my forgetfulness.

I saw deep set worry, in the lines, the shadows and the eyes that I have learnt to love over the years.

"Are you okay babe?" she created some space between her chin to gaze into my eyes like she used to. Phew. She's ok, Owen. Stop pushing her.

** 2 weeks later **
"Hahaha, mm yeah gorgeous Owen!" She exclaimed, taking a capture of the moment in the mirror on her iPhone. God, she looks so pretty in her flower crown resting on her hairline. We were running round the aisles trying to find the most outrageous items in Primark to try and test. Probably getting on the staff's nerves, but oh well. I had a Panama hat on in a beautiful paisley print (note the sarcasm in beautiful). It would look nice as a pattern on a shirt my recent father-in-law would wear, but not a hat.

I think we needed to settle back where we belong, before we could press play again on our lives here. I leant forward to kiss her on the forehead, brushing the smoothed out skin with my lips. My broad hands were slightly gripping her shoulders. "Hey honey, we have a letter about joint accounts from the bank. We need to look at it when we get home, 'kay?" I said slightly bluntly.

"It's nothing to worry about though, right?" Maddie replied looking concerned. "No, it just said it was missing some money that's all, I guess the honeymoon is just taking its toll. We'll sort it out at home." I said. I sure wasn't thinking it.