Chapter Thirty-seven

Xiao Zhan couldn't sleep

Xiao Zhan couldn't sleep. The earlier conversation ran in his mind like a broken recorder. It only hurt a little more than it did before. He could take anything, but insults from Yibo were a hard pill to swallow. His eyes wandered towards the bedside table on Yibo's side and the clock glinted four in the morning. The database was still being downloaded. 

He could only wait.

As if listening to his thoughts, there was a knock on the door. Xiao Zhan stiffened just as Wang Yibo was shaken awake by the sound. Xiao Zhan turned to Yibo who was looking at the door with a healthy amount of dread.

Xiao Zhan got off the bed but Yibo held his wrist, shaking his head, almost miserably. Xiao Zhan sighed and sat back on the bed. The person on the other side didn't seem deterred by the lack of response. They kept banging on the door with intent. Xiao Zhan felt that sooner or later that he had to open that door so he removed Yibo's hand from his own and went to the door.

He touched the knob and let his thoughts simmer for a moment before he pulled open the door with a twist.

There was a man on the other side. He was taller than Xiao Zhan. He wore black from head to toe topping it off with a cap. Xiao Zhan could see his face though. He was a man in probably in his thirties. He wondered if being noticeable wasn't a detriment for the man.

"What do you want?" Xiao Zhan asked once he steeled himself.

"Let me come in."

"No! You can speak from here." But the man didn't listen. Instead, he pushed him to the side and walked inside, closing the door behind him.

Xiao Zhan found himself walking backward covering Yibo's figure with his height.

"So you finally came, didn't you?" The man rasped.

Xiao Zhan gritted his teeth and growled, "What do you want?"

The man chuckled and sat on the chair near the table. "It's a pity you didn't die."

Wang Yibo gasped while Xiao Zhan looked confused. "What?"

"Three years ago. You were looking for someone. Xiao Zhan, isn't it? You were supposed to die but you have some luck. You're still alive but not for long. All lives' have an expiry date and yours is very close."

"I will call the police," Xiao Zhan shouted through the tremor in his voice.

"You think the police will interfere with us? I expected you to be smart Xiao Zhan. Sadly, you aren't."

The man laughed chilling the other men in the room. Yibo suddenly moved forward, "That sound." He whirled around meeting Xiao Zhan's gaze. "The ticking- you have a bomb on you!" Wang Yibo yelled.

Xiao Zhan was stunned but he had half the mind to push Yibo behind him as the man removed the zipper revealing a bomb stuck on his abdomen. Their eyes were wide with worry and fear. He could feel Yibo trembling and he could only hope for the best. The bomb wasn't for them. It was for the man in front of the man. No wonder the man wasn't worried about being identified.