Chapter 6 - It's Like True Love

A/N: mature content second half of chapter

***

The next day was like the clouds lifting after a storm. Everyone seemed to be in a much better mood. The monsters really didn't hold much resentment for Ericka after she had openly defended them and saved the Dark Prince himself. With a deep breath, she strode onto the deck like she had on that first day, greeting everyone, though this time she meant her politeness.

She bumped into someone ahead of her, and the figure turned around.

"Oh! Excuse me," she said when she saw that it was Mavis. It felt strange to speak to her again after what had occurred down in the cavern just the other day.

"It's alright," Mavis replied, her tone not showing hostility. "I should be the one apologizing. I get really defensive when it comes to my dad. He's been alone for so many years, and I just wasn't sure about you."

Ericka chuckled. "You were right - " she began, but Mavis lifted a hand to interrupt her.

"It was really incredible what you did back there with the Kraken. If you hadn't, I might have lost him forever."

"Well, I guess the zing makes you do crazy things," Ericka said.

"Yeah," Mavis laughed. "That's exactly what my husband Johnny says too." Then she looked at Ericka with an apologetic expression. "I can see you love him, though. And I really want to see where things go with you two."

"I'm hopeful to see as well," Ericka said with a blush.

Mavis glanced at her and extended a hand. "So, no hard feelings?"

Ericka peered down at the hand and completely ignored it for a hug instead, sweeping the girl into her arms. Mavis gasped a little at first but then returned it.

"Of course no hard feelings. I should be the one apologizing to you. I've got a lot to make up for with your dad." Ericka then released Mavis and looked at her. "Where is he, by the way?"

"I think he was out looking for you," Mavis informed. "You might want to check the pool deck."

"Great, I will," Ericka replied. "See you around!"

"Same!" Mavis waved cheerfully as she walked in the other direction.

As she had said, Ericka found Dracula strolling around the pool deck where other monsters were lounging about, reading or floating lazily inside the pool itself. Drac spun around with a tap on the shoulder and blushed heavily at the sight of Ericka. "Ericka!" he exclaimed.

She giggled. "Yes, it's me."

"Right." Drac was getting very nervous again. "S-sooo, what brings you here?"

Ericka snorted and interlaced their fingers. "What do you think? Who says a girl can't spend some time with the one she loves?"

Dracula's face turned beet red at this, and she giggled. "Still getting used to that, huh?"

Drac nodded. "Most definitely."

"Well, we'll do it together, okay?" She gave his hand a reassuring squeeze, and he nodded back at her with a wide grin.

"Okay."

***

One hour turned to two. Then three. Then four. It was the most time during the trip that she had spent with just Drac so far. She learned all about his life at the hotel - his daughter Mavis, the arrival of his human son-in-law Johnny, his dhampir grandson Dennis, his various monster friends, his father Count Vlad - and all the wonderful experiences he had with them. Ericka in turn told him all about her life growing up with Van Helsing, and how much their legacy kept pushing her to train every day for new ways to kill Dracula. They laughed about all the failed plans of the past, and explored all the areas of the ship, including the secret chamber.