5: Wonderful, Yet Perplexing

My right hand hurt me from the bite that certain wolf gave me. It stopped bleeding an hour ago. I have gained a higher pain threshold before I was thrown in the trenches. Pain and agony were as common as dirt in those gloomy, grey days. When bodies were piled on one another and burned, we were pinned down and could not properly give our men an honorable burial. But those were things of the past I hope to not let up again. I am now in a colorful world that just so happens to be drenched in crime and thievery.

Throughout the night, I stopped to rest here and there, drinking the water stored in my canteen, enjoying the night air to my advantage so that I do not have to sweat in the sunlight. The tea I drank gave me immense stamina to keep trudging on the road that would bend to the right, then to the left. Forests of bamboo and regular wood trees took turns dominating both sides of the road.

I had begun using my rifle as a walking stick since eventually I will run out of ammunition sooner or later, thereby, rendering my weapon to soon be completely useless. And because of this, the consumption of my remaining nine clips of ammunition must be used sparingly, hopefully never, seeing how the people of this world have never seen a gun or have such technology as of yet. I doubt within the world I am in, they have never fascinated the idea of a muzzleloader that can fire a projectile by use of gunpowder. But I have many reasons to think that since they already have invented fireworks, it won't be long until someone with a mind bent on destruction will come up with a gun, or cannon, if I may add.

The end of the festivities of the night, brought a great migration of people on the road. Some were drunk and cared not for their surroundings. Others were sober and glared at me, prompting me to think that perhaps I am the only human in the entirety of this world. And from this notion, also brought up the question of what of the other countries other than China? What of Korea? Japan? Mongolia? And most importantly, Germany? At this time, I doubt the country was called German, for I have studied European history and am not a fool to think the countries are called by what they were since I last saw them in the early years of the 20th century.

Germany at this time would be called the Holy Roman Empire, because generally, they wished to continue the tradition that they were still apart of the broken Roman Empire that fell to the barbarians of the north in the 5th century. My God, what do the people of Europe look like? My eyes kept widening; What of the Americas? 

Hmph...there's no real good point talking about it when I can literally do that should I integrate my life in this worlds society. But wait. What about Gerver and his machines? Will he think that I am still alive somewhere and will attempt to jump inside the machine and travel into the same world I am in? If he does so, he won't have a clue how in hell he will manage to talk to the locals. English is not prevalent with him.

As the sun marked the dawning of the day, I looked at my map and saw that the nearest location from Wú Zhù was the green building and mountain to the southwest. I just hope that the road I traveled on takes me to this place. Maybe I can get a job here and begin the process of forgetting my past life, mistakes and misfortune.

Unfortunately I did not see any sort of green house up ahead, or any green mountains, for I looked up ahead to see a small village that was not written on the map. Blast, even I thought the cartographer had written all the locations on this map. The village was smaller than the one in Wú Zhù. Architecture of Chinese design was seen on the posts and rooftops of every building.

The people, mostly rabbits, geese and pigs were all staring at me. I doubt they had ever seen a human before, nevertheless, find out he is armed with weaponry that can kill quite easily. Several pigs were pushing a cart of vegetables down the road when they froze and began staring at me. Some rabbits were walking down the road, also doing this when they bumped into each other. But still, they did not keep their heads peeled away from my side. No one begged a question.