The A Team

"And they scream,

The worst things in life come free to us.

'Cause we're all under the upper hand.

Go mad for a couple grams.

And we don't wanna go outside tonight."

            - Ed Sheeran, "The A Team"

____________________________________________________________

Days at Karar-Taj are peaceful.

Wong's Spotify playlist is anything but.

"Okay, I understand the obsession with Beyoncé, but I never took you for an Ed Sheeran fan." Stephen smirks and raises an eyebrow in his friend's direction.

Wong rolls his eyes while he re-arranges the books in his office. Old habits die hard, and he will always be a bookkeeper at heart.

Stephen would know; he has a little too much fun messing with Xiao (the new libraian) sometimes...all the time.

"I've taken a liking to acoustic pop recently. It's more relaxing." Wong says, completely unfazed.

"Well, I can't argue with that....but Ed Sheeran? Tell me you've at least listened to some Kacey Musgraves or Taylor Swift. I think "Folklore" is my new favorite album of hers."

"Yes, I've listened to them. You'd know that if you scrolled further down. What are you even doing in here? I don't mind the company, but surely, you have something better to do than judge my taste in music."

Stephen has a lot of better things to do.

He just doesn't want to do any of them.

Stephen sighs and leans back against the far wall. "I don't know. The battlefield was pretty out of the way, so there wasn't much to do there in terms of cleanup. The Avengers have all gone their separate ways. Star Lord and his merry band of misfits have gone back into the great unknown with Thor in tow. Um...I found a book of spells that can weaponize music notes at the library yesterday. I could study that—"

"—so you don't know what to do? I'm sure you feel listless, many of those who just returned from the dust feel the same way. You're welcome to help me reorganize my office—I find it rather...calming."

Stephen nods. He gradually makes his way over to Wong's desk and grabs another pile of books for the man to sort through. "I don't feel listless. I mean, I knew this was coming. I knew I'd return after five years, so it's...different. I'm just unfocused. Need to meditate more."

His friend stops alphabetizing his book collection and turns to face him, looking him right in the eyes. "Seeing is not the same as living. Knowing what is to come is not the same as facing it. There is no shame in feeling lost. The first day you were back you told me that you have no desire to be the Sorcerer Supreme again. Maybe you could work here? As a teacher perhaps. Just for a short while or however long you would like. Something to give you purpose, help you find a place in this new world."

"I'm not sure I'm cut out for teaching. You could ask any student resident at the hospital. I'm pretty sure they all hated my guts."

Wong lets out a short chuckle, "I'm sure you will do fine. If not, you could always be a student again. You never finished your training, if i'm not mistaken."

The former Sorcerer Supreme scrunches his nose at that. He's learned plenty on his own. So what if he doesn't know every fundamental spell? He could do more powerful versions of them any day of the week.

He studies what's interesting and what he finds useful. Sue him.

Actually don't, he's still broke.

"Oh, by the way, the New York Sanctum is still yours, should you want it. Sorcerer Gao is retiring next week, so you're welcome to take his place. You could go there anytime. I still think getting to know the sorcerers at Kamar-Taj would be good for you. You can handle isolation better than most; I'm sure you prefer it sometimes, but I think you should give this place a chance, even if it's only part time."

"...I'll think about it." Stephen murmurs.

The Sorcerer Supreme smiles. "That's all I ask for."

Stephen lets silence ring for approximately 5.28 seconds before blurting out, "Don't think all your stolen fortune cookie lines are going to distract me from the fact that you not only listen to but enjoy listening to Ed Sheeran."

His friend matches his smirk with one of his own. "You caught onto my master plan. Whatever shaIl I do?"

Laughter rings through the east end of Kamar-Taj. It is a warm, gentle sound.

It's a good day.