Bar Sinister (Lion tamer)

The sweet smell of burning flesh roamed around the room. The Infernal incense was milled from the freshly flayed skin of a half-demon, the younger, the better. It fed a hunger in us that would never recede, so, we drank.

"Your first title is within reach, Younger. You're beginning to grow rapidly now, but you might need to slow down a bit before you split your skin," enjoined Memet. "The wings of a Plague will arrive in their own time."

Recent pain-filled events across the Divide were feeding me power in amounts almost greater than I could absorb. "Firefanged now seems most fitting, and I must admit that my eagerness to comprehend the title fully consumes me."

"You aren't a true hunter as much as you are a warrior, so forget the hunt and focus on the fight ahead. It will bring you all that you need and more, given the time to grow into it."

"More than I need, I'm sure," I replied with anticipation. "But I can feel the Circles of Hell expanding and contracting as we speak. With two fewer Warlords in play for the High-Prince, the Houses are kindling all sorts of designs and deceit."

"The void that remains is yet another kind of catalyst, for sure. But no one knows that better than the Deceiver."

"The High-Prince planned this all along?"

Memet replied, "Well, it is his reality, after all, is it not?"

On this side of the Veil, for sure.

"So Memet, one thing Hal-Raekorn the Elder never quite grasped is where you fit in this Circus of Hell. Are you a ringmaster or a lion tamer?" I asked, venting my suspicions.

"Aren't you the lion tamer?" he chuckled.

"That's not an answer."

Memet left my optimistic mood in shreds, "Perhaps you can ask Rei-Seeck about it when you see her. Rumors say that Lis-Xiana has also sent her into exile."