CHAPTER 2

"Calista! I would like to have a word with you please," my father would be booming with his loud and proud voice. How come I couldn't be blessed with such a voice as brooding as his own?

I would not make a sound as I would bow my head in respect and as a goodbye to Lady Mariam before I would go into the room where my father would be calling from. I did not have many friends growing of age, so I had our head maid, Lady Mariam. She was not the nicest woman to all, but she had a tender heart towards myself. I am not quite sure if it is because I am the youngest of my siblings, but she would always be the softest with me.

I would brush off any excess dirt that would happen to be tugging onto my skirt not wanting to leave as if it was a child crying to their mother and tugging her every which way. I would then step into the room, seeing my mother and father awaiting before me. I would bow my head, greeting them.

"Your mother and I wanted to speak with you about our upcoming winter solstice party, it is more of a favor," he would clear his throat. They would then sit on the padded and luxurious bench made out of the finest fabrics and the most subtle gold. My father would pat the seat across from them, motioning me to sit.

I would then sit on the expensive cushioned fabric. To me, it felt like any other fabricated bench. I never really had interest in the price of materialistic items, if they were of good use then it was the best quality in my eyes.

"As you know, you are sixteen years old now, do you know what that means?" my mother would ask in her hushed tone. I always found it astonishing how someone with the sweetest voice could ever marry someone who is an apparel opposite. My father's voice could fill the whole house, that is what it felt like to me.

I would stare at her, confusion and bewilderment covering my delicate features. My mother would turn to my father, he would nod his head reassuringly to her. She took a breath before she would speak again.

"Well... this is the age when you become a woman of your own kind. Your own person. You've turned out so beautifully, your father and I are more than proud of all that you've done for the last sixteen years of your life."

I would nod slowly, I still did not know what my age had to do with what we were talking about for the upcoming winter solstice party. Although Catalina was older than I, only by two years, she seems the most excited out of all of us girls. Maybe it was solely for the new books she will receive, what a smart girl she is. My sister, Cressida, was more uptight and serious than both Catalina and I combined. She thought books and toys were for foolish girls that wanted to conceal the fact that they are growing up. I feel as if she is being a hypocrite towards herself.

My father cleared his throat, nudging my mother impatiently. What could be so important that my father is acting rather giddy and peevish?

"Since you are our most beautiful child, I do not think you will disappoint your father and I. We thought of your sisters to be beyond, but they proved us wrong," she would say smoothly and softly.

I would blink rapidly, is this what I think the topic is about? I would just stare, my expression would be a blank slate across my features.

"Please, just marry someone and not to be a fool like your sisters!" My father would exclaim rather loudly. I would not doubt that most of my home heard his booming and proud voice. My mother would smack his thigh, making an intimidating expression. My father would clear his throat, grabbing my olived toned hands and squeezing them quite tightly.

"I wish for you to not be like them. Catalina is a child both in her heart and mind. Your sister, Cressida, is too snobbish and picky. She is a complete-"