Chapter Four

It took us around a week to prepare for the trip. First, we had to make sure things were still going smoothly with the rebuilding of the community. Then, we had to make a plan: length of stay, what we'd solve, how we'd solve it, and more. Finally, we had to pack.

My nerves are still on edge even as I sit and listen to Rory prattling on about staying safe. I think he might be even more worried than me, for other reasons of course. If his shaking hands on my cheeks are any indication, then yeah, he might have a heart attack at any second.

"Just be careful. Don't give your blood out freely, okay? No matter how pitiful anyone seems," Rory commands, giving me a funny look. "And don't become too close with just anyone."

Tilting my head to the side, I give him an exasperated look. "Yes, sir. I'll make sure to stay in the room given to me for the entirety of the trip."

Rory gives me bug eyes before nodding. "Yes... that would absolutely be the best course of action."

"Rory!"

"I'm just worried, Sophia-Grace, okay?"

"You're being a helicopter mate," I tell him, trying to give him the benefit of the doubt and softening my expression. "And you're forgetting that I'll be with Alexei the whole time."

Turning, I make my way outside and to the black and shiny SUV. Though I am nervous, I'm also somewhat excited to be going somewhere. I hate to say that it's been a while since I've gone out anywhere. Being stuck in the house all the time can and will absolutely take a toll on anybody.

Pulling the back door open, I climb in and leave it open so I can still communicate with Rory. A couple feet away, Alexei, Cal, and Elijah stand talking with each other. I can't hear them, but I can make out that whatever they're conversing about is serious.

I turn back to Rory and wrap my arms around him. "I'll miss you while we're gone."

He returns the hug, squeezing me close so that his woodsy scent wafts up my nose. It's the cause of helping build the houses that the natural smell of nature just clings to him now. Though a small change to him, it fits his new persona so well that it comforts me whenever I sniff.

"I'll miss you too. Come back quickly, okay?" Even with a soft tone from him, I know this command is a serious one. We don't enjoy being too far from each other, with or without the matebond. "I'll be waiting for you."

There's not enough time for me to say anything as the trio comes toward the car. Cal climbs into the driver's side while Alexei takes the passenger's seat. After a quick farewell, we set off to our destination. It's a strange feeling to be leaving the forest landscape where the pack is located. As we move away from barren and country like areas, we zoom onto the freeway for the ride. And when more and more trees disappear, it opens up to the city where skyscrapers surround us.

Laying my head on the window, I watch as things pass in a blur, choosing not to get too entrance by buildings I'll never step foot in. I don't know if it's because I was passed out last time we came to these parts, but the drive is long, around two hours. Thinking back, I can't fathom how long it took Rory to make it in his beastly form while carrying me. He even did that as the sun was setting and while running through the woods.

Things become more familiar as we grow closer to our destination. We ditch the city and once again, it becomes more barren. Not as much as where the pack is, but enough so that people don't venture too far. I'm sure a normal person seeing a random giant castle would have a stroke just looking at it.

We finally come up to the gate that scans your face. Once it turns blue and the camouflage trees open, Cal types in the code which causes the gate to open. He carries on. Despite only a year and a half passing at most, it feels like the time I was here was ages ago. The winding road pulls up the mountain and opens to where the castle is. I'm only happy that this time I'm not vomiting all over the floor of the SUV.