38

Eniola retraced her steps back to the SCOPE arena. She and Iris walked down the Sydney streets, but only on the back roads just in case someone wanted to jump them. Back when they did came to the safe house, the adrenaline took over her, and she simply ran to Iris's voice. But the more she looked, she realized she didn't know where the arena was. Woah.

"So I have directions in my brain and the SCOPE arena isn't far," Iris said.

"We haven't been there since the explosion," Eniola replied faintly, feeling the tingle of fear rush down her body. All she could see was Hyejin over top of her, about to shoot her in the head. Then she could see Hyejin with charred skin and a permanent look of shock. She forced the images from her mind.

"Great," Eniola replied shakily.

"I think that the only reason it seemed far was that we had to carry Keone," Iris said. Eniola only nodded.

"Are you going to talk to me?" Iris asked with a sigh.

Everyone had been awkward around her ever since she revealed she created ALTSCOPE and maybe Paradox. Eniola didn't talk to her.

"I know you guys are all mad, but you could at least tell me, so I don't have to guess," Iris said.

"Why didn't you tell us?" Eniola asked. "We would've kept your secret."

"You know how Keone is," Iris spat. "He knows how to blackmail you to get what he wants. I was afraid because he had power. He is a famous SCOPE player and his dad's like some millionaire. I didn't want to go to jail or get in trouble."

Eniola stayed silent. She agreed. Keone knew how to be manipulative. He drew you in close and acted like someone who cared about you. He had a way of making you feel you were the only person who mattered, and then he used that against you.

"I won't lie to you guys when I say I want to protect my family," Iris said. "I have 8 younger siblings that I help take care of and I help my family through SCOPE. I didn't want Keone to take that away."

"We could've helped you," Eniola said. "We could've stopped Paradox."

"Sorry for reacting at the moment," Iris grumbled. "I didn't know what to do. I'm sorry for not telling you guys. I've felt guilty ever since I've known, and I didn't want to tell because you guys wouldn't listen."

"Huh?" Eniola asked. "What do you mean?"

"I like being able to listen to all of your guy's problems and being the positive friend, but I need you guys to know that I struggle too," Iris revealed.

Eniola stopped and raised an eyebrow. "Really?"

"Yeah," Iris said. "I just wanted to know that you would take me seriously."

"Oh, Iris," Eniola said. "We'll always take you seriously, you know that? You're very special to us, and I'm sorry if you've felt that way."

"Yeah," Iris replied.

Iris and Eniola walked through the streets. Eniola said nothing after that, and neither did Iris. Maybe they didn't need to. They emerged onto faint city buildings that didn't look destroyed, but honestly, anything could happen. Eniola was suddenly hyper-aware of her body and where it was. Rogue androids and free criminals?

"You know, we're technically saving the world," Iris said, turning back to her.

"Way to not put pressure on me or anything," Eniola mumbled, with her heart thumping against her chest. "We're just two girls, walking down the streets on their way to saving the world."

"Yeah," Iris said. "You know what I miss?"

"SCOPE," they both said at the same time. They looked at each and smiled.