What is Spiritual Warfare?

If you're reading this book, I'm pretty sure you've heard the term "Spiritual Warfare" being thrown around left and right in the Christian community (especially on TikTok😂). 

But what does it really mean?? Let's break it down.

DEFINITIONS:

Spiritual- relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things

             — in layman's terms: Your spirit is what lives inside of you. It goes beyond the physical into the unseen realm.

Warfare- engagement in or the activities involved in war or conflict

              — in layman's terms: War, Battle, Fight

With these words combined, we can understand that we are involved in an unseen war.

Now, let's get a biblical understanding of this concept.

SCRIPTURE:

Ephesians 6:12 reads:

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

This scripture shows us that our battle is not against physical people or issues in our life, but against the tactics of the enemy. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, at this point you may be asking: "Well why do I have to go through this??"

It's simple. 

The reason we as Christians are under attack is because when you get saved, your body becomes a temple for the Holy Spirit. This means that He lives and dwells in you. Naturally, this makes the devil upset because he has lost a soul which was once committed to him and his agenda (whether you knew it or not). So, a war is declared against you for control of your soul.

You may be saying "Before Christ, I never went through spiritual warfare.. life was easy! Why am I going through all of this fighting now??"

The reason you were never bothered before coming to Christ was because your spirit was already aligned with the enemy. He had no reason to fight you. He's not going to fight for what he already has. 

The Bible says that the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord (Romans 6:23). This means that when you're living in sin, you are leading a life that eventually ends in death. When you are saved, you are promised eternal life in Heaven. However, the Bible also says that the devil comes to steal, kill, and destroy (John 10:10). There is nothing more that he would love than to get you to give up your eternal life and all the promises God has for you on this Earth. 

How does he do that?

He fights you. 

Because the devil is a spirit instead of a physical being, he can't fight you in the flesh. 

Hence the reason that the battle is purely spiritual (no matter how physical it may seem). 

Next, let's get into recognizing spiritual warfare in your life.