Chapter 20: The new world

More and more cracks form on Surtr's body. He gazes straight into Sora's eyes. And smiles.

     "Even with all you have done here. It isn't enough, in my death, most this world will still be gone." He says, and laughs, more and more cracks.

     "Curse you, Sora Kitijima, for doing this to me, but my plan ultimately succeeds." He continues, his whole body is glowing with prismatic light, energy starts gathering all around him. Sora uses the last of his strength to save the other six. Chino, who was watching from the distance, dashes to them, and helps Sora create a shield, the rest have been able to get up by then, they help with making a shield. They completely surround themselves in a shield of eight people, when it happens. Surtr explodes, and in a matter of seconds, the eight are in space, the shield barely surviving. Most the surface of the planet is gone, and where Surtr exploded, it almost reached the core, there are several other mages in space with them, Chronos looks at the rest of them.

     "ALL MAGES, no, ALL WHO LIVE, GIVE ME STRENGTH, I WILL SET BACK TIME FOR THE WORLD AT LARGE!" He yells, they all look at him, they tell him not to fix all of it, and leave the wells to go off. He asks why, and Sora replies with something about not wanting to have to guard them, and to let them drift in space. Even though they never managed to restore the well of Darkness. 

     The world starts fragmenting together, a lot of the surface doesn't look quite the same, but still similar, enough to still call it home. After a few minutes, most the surface was repaired, Sora said it was enough, and in the future they will fix the rest. Almost all the mages were teleported down back to the world they live in, faces old and new, but Sora felt that only mages were left. While all the mages were still confused, Sora realized the answer to his own question. He teleported up to a new cliff to think about what he'll say. Sakura follows him.

      "What do you have on your mind, Sora?" She asks, looking at him, he turns around, and sits.

     "I found the answer to my question, I am a leader, people call me selfless, but I never think that I've done enough, I want to start a nation, and I'll call it the mage empire." He says, gazing deep into her eyes. She looks back, and smiles.

     "You really are a good leader, or maybe a thief, you definitely stole my vote, and my heart." She goes closer, and kisses him. He's surprised at the reaction, but goes with it. I am happy, let's all just hope it stays like this. He thinks to himself, he gazes up to the night sky, then looks down at the mages below, he teleports down to the ruin of Dragon's Keep. He gazes across all of them, and gives his speech.

     "All of you must be confused, as am I. We defeated a god, lost our home, then rebuilt it, all in a few minutes. It seems that mages are the only ones left." He says, then the people of his home, and Akani, the workers who built the Phoenix, are all gone, he thinks to himself. He paused to let the mages take it all in.

     "I hope that this world will recover from what's been lost. I plan on starting a nation, an empire, ruled by those more capable of protecting, the strongest will make a council of Mage Lords, and together we will make decisions to better the lives of everyone!" He says to the rest. They all look at him, most are murmuring agreement. He looks at the ones he met along the way.

     "Every year, there will be a tourney, of sixty-four mages who prove themselves strongest, and the winner will have a chance at taking a seat among the Ten Mage Lords! The top ten including a champion who doesn't succeed will become an elite mage. The rest will be able to live fulfilling lives, we will use magic to help, not hurt!" He says, the mages start cheering.

     "To the north, where there is a forest, will be the first and capital city of the mage empire, we shall name it, Xalengard. All who are with me and my cause, come with me, come join the cause that will make the whole world great!" He finishes. Most the mages are cheering him on, he jumps to take the lead, Kieba looking into his eyes, Sakura on the other Side. Chino, Drake, and Yuri are just behind them, Zephrous near, but not next to them. As they depart into the forest, Sakura looks off in the distance, from it she sees two people, she recognizes both, Breeze, and the Gatekeeper. What are they doing out there? She questions herself, they both flash by her vision, Sora wonders who that was, and why he's been watching them nearly the whole time, but regardless they continue.

      They're going home, they're building home, they're off to see the new world, they're building the new world. Sora, Sakura, Kieba, Chino, Drake, Yuri, Zephrous, and Chronos, the eight masters of their art lead the rest. In the following years, Chino becomes an explorer, and the time she's home she teaches young mages in knowledge long forgotten. Sora and Sakura live together in an area just outside the main city, Kieba is stronger than ever, Yuri and Zephrous go on several missions, watching for any new threats, Drake lives in the ruins of Dragon's Keep, even with his title of Mage Lord, and Chronos vanished without a trace.

     The empire lives, and the many mysteries of the world that wasn't unraveled in the past will soon be found.