three.

•••

    After lunch, the three of them walked to Biology || and happily ran into Bella and a sweet girl named Angela who was also heading to biology. It was obvious the twins and Veronica were good with people since they would make conversation with anyone. Bella liked that about them, and envied it.

When the five entered the classroom, Angela went to sit at a black-topped lab table exactly like the ones Bella was used to. She already had a neighbor. In fact, all the tables were filled but one. Next to the center aisle, Nic recognized Edward Cullen by his unusual hair, sitting next to that single open seat.

As Nic walked down the aisle to introduce himself to the teacher and get my slip signed, Nic was watching him surreptitiously. Just as Nic passed, he suddenly went rigid in his seat. He stared at Nic again, meeting his eyes with the strangest expression on his face — it was hostile, furious. Nic looked away quickly, shocked, going red again.

Nico noticed that his eyes were black — coal black...weird but beautiful.

Mr. Banner signed Nic his slip and handed him a book with no nonsense about introductions. Nic could tell they were going to get along. Of course, he had no choice but to send Nic to the one open seat in the middle of the room, away from his sister and new found friends, Nic lifted his chin and kept his eyes straight ahead as Nic went to sit by him, bewildered by the antagonistic stare he'd given Nic.

Nic didn't look up as he set his book on the table and took his seat, but Nic saw Edwards posture change from the corner of Nic's eye. He was leaning away from Nic, sitting on the extreme edge of his chair and averting his face like he smelled something bad.

Inconspicuously, Nic sniffed himself, he
smelled of cigarettes and cinnamon body wash. and It seemed an innocent enough odor.

Nic tried to pay attention to the teacher, Unfortunately the lecture was on cellular anatomy, something Nic already studied. Nic took notes carefully anyway, always looking down.

Nic couldn't stop himself from peeking occasionally at the strange boy next to him. During the whole class, he never relaxed his stiff position on the edge of his chair, sitting as far from Nic as possible.

Nic could see his hand on his left leg was clenched into a fist, tendons standing out under his pale skin. This, too, he never relaxed. He had the long sleeves of his white shirt pushed up to his elbows, and his forearm was surprisingly hard and muscular beneath his light skin. He wasn't nearly as slight as he'd looked next to his burly brother.

The class seemed to drag on longer than the others. Was it because the day was finally coming to a close, or because Nic was waiting for his tight fist to loosen? It never did;

he continued to sit so still it looked like he wasn't breathing. What was wrong with him? Was this his normal behavior? Nic questioned his judgment on Veronica's positive comments about the Cullens at lunch today.

Maybe she was not as thorough full as He'd thought. It couldn't have anything to do with Nic. He didn't know Nic.

I peeked up at him one more time, and regretted it. He was glaring down at Nic again, his black eyes full  of revulsion. As Nic flinched away from him, shrinking against his chair, the phrase if looks could kill suddenly ran through his mind.

At that moment, the bell rang loudly, making Nic jump, and Edward Cullen was out of his seat. Fluidly he rose — he was much taller than Nic had thought — his back to Nic, and he was out the door before anyone else was out of their seat.

Nic shook his head at Cullens retreating back, he didn't except everyone to be as nice as Bella and Veronica, but that was rude, and weird.

Nic stood up with a huff and walked out of the room to collapse his forehead on his sisters forehead, who was waiting in the hallway for him.