Chapter - 4 Rules

Macaria POV

"Macaria!" My legs halted when a girl with a pixie haircut waved at me, heading towards me. Her eyes were shining and twinkling. It has been a while since I have seen someone so joyful. I tried my best to not run away. 

I stared at her in confusion as she approached me. Her smile was wide, like a sun shining so bright. I could feel the happiness she surrounded herself with. The question was, why is she talking to me?

Do I know this girl?

She came to a stop in front of me with a giant smile. Her dimples made her so adorable and kid-like. Her smile was infectious. I felt the muscles on my face move. 

I smiled back. 

It was an automatic reaction. It was genuine. First time after so many months. 

I was surprised.

"I tried to talk to you this morning but you left your dorm in a hurry." She stated. 

I nodded waiting for her to continue. 

"I wanted to introduce myself. Katherine Moxines. Just call me Katie, the smaller the easier. Well, not everything." She grinned holding her hand out.

Her happiness was contagious. I felt relaxed in her presence, which was so rare. I took her hand to shake but she pulled me into a hug. My body stiffened. My instinct was to run. To scream and run.

Even hugs felt foreign to me. 

"We are gonna be best friends. I can see it." She chuckled, pulling away. Completely oblivious to my reaction. I relaxed my muscles and turned away to hide my pale face. I swallowed calming my nerves. 

Everything is fine, Macaria.

I nodded, and my smile dropped. Friend. That is something I didn't have for a while.

Maybe in my whole life.

"I came to know your name from the list of newcomers. What classes do you have?" She asked. The lump in my throat grew bigger. I pursued my lips and decided that moment. I couldn't hurt her.

I shook my head, pointing at my mouth. Shock filled her eyes. In an instant, it was gone. She took out her phone.

" You have a phone?" She asked.

I took out my phone. She went to my dial and typed in her number, sending a missed call to hers.

She opened the keyboard and handed it back.

"Now talk." She smiled, nodding towards the phone. 

'Literature, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and P.E.' I typed down, showing her the words.

"We have only two periods together." She mused, disappointed. 

'Who is your mentor?' I asked, hoping to change into her batch.

"Mr. Frigder." She stated.

I was about to ask her the procedure to change mentors but was stopped when I felt a huge shadow towering over me. Katie stared behind me, I could literally see those hearts in her eyes too. 

I froze with my hand clenched around my phone.

"Mr. Walker." Katie greeted, her eyes wide in wonder. I refused to turn and acknowledge him. 

"Macaria, I would like to have a word with you." That heavy, raspy voice made my knees buckle. I wished the ground would open and swallow me whole. 

I stuffed my phone back into my bag before finally turning to Azriel.