final project final draft ahah

Alain looked up.

The peacock of poison was stained with the same liquid that stained his own emerald. There was a chance it would end in a terrible ending, but that didn't matter. The master of curses, overloaded with poison. That was the goal. Alain just needed the others to do what they always did, what they did with the last four.

If Alain had just acted upon his instincts, this could've been avoided, but an observer doesn't interfere. Interference defeated the purpose of researching everything. Interfering ruined the purity of the subject. Interference stopped the test from producing accurate results.

Interference would potentially change the results gathered. Interference would've destroyed the bridges that had been temporarily built, washed away by the floods of everything else. Interference would have sent Alain back into his tower, to spend his days alone and his nights sleepless. It would have sent Alain into the unfamiliar fields of being known without anyone who truly knew. It would have destroyed everything he'd worked so hard for- everything he worked so hard, so hard to build from the ground up. He'd built bridges, destroyed walls, and driven paths.

He'd finally left the tower in events other than observing others in the dead of night. He'd finally gained others who would be able to enjoy his presence here. Something the troupe didn't provide while he was away- Once he'd lost his talent, he was sent to the bleachers, abandoned like a stuffed animal with a hole in the sitches, like a porcelain doll with a shattered limb.

He'd let others into the cobblestone walls that protected the cut stone, the one covered in spots of black, staining the emerald green rock. He'd let others see him for more than a few seconds, he let them talk to him. He let himself out of the shell he'd lived in, the shell he used to protect the scarred skin of a wounded creature. He'd let himself become a person capable of more than just a bit of healing. He'd let himself exist without problems.

Interfering would have destroyed all of that.

Alain could afford this fate, but not the one that would've been brought crashing down onto him if he'd interfered.

Alain could afford to die, but a fate like what would've happened if he'd interfered was worse than death.

Left alone, an outcast, shamed for supposedly lying about what would happen. Shamed for pointing out the obvious, hated for telling the truth.

Even then, he needed these results. He needed to study the effects, to find out why. He'd missed the opportunity to do that with the last four, and after this only two were left. This was also the one that, if the course was set to go as planned, would be the easiest to study, the easiest to heal. The easiest to save.

Alain was weak.

There was no doubt of this fact. He was frail, emotionally unstable, like a shelf-dwelling toy in all aspects. Pretty, stiff, serving one purpose and only that, breakable, and half. Just as a glass doll was half a toy, Alain was half a human. Alain was half footed, half sighted,half haired, half human. Not a human really. Only his mentality was human, everything else was not. His ears pointed that out from the get go.

A fae isn't human. Faes and humans couldn't get along. Faes couldn't live a life like this. Alain couldn't fit anywhere on the shelf, he couldn't be perfectly sorted into a bin of those like him. It had presented more problems than being normal, and uninteresting would've. He'd been treated like a workhorse, then like a toy, then like an automaton. He'd only just recently managed to assume the form of a regular being, and even then he'd needed to keep sewing new stitches to hold the fabric of his dream intact.

Only recently had the heart adorned his cheek, only recently had a star glowed from below his eye. even the cross made its first appearance in the past while. Before then it'd been a tear, a tear was all he'd known. He'd most certainly adorned the three before, but not with knowledge, not within a memory worth keeping. Not while he was thinking. The only person he could think of awakening a heart for was long gone from happy memories, replaced with ones of jealousy instead. The only thing that could have coaxed the star was something he'd never be able to enjoy again. The only thing that could have him bear a cross was something he'd rather not think of.