Chapter 1: Blaze

It all began at my family's home. It was dark that night with no moonlight and rumbles of thunder were felt throughout the home. I counted myself as lucky, as my family was pretty well off. As I settled back into bed, I heard a roar of a creature I'd never heard before. I looked at the window and saw a shadowy creature fly by it, the moon's rays casting its shadow over my room. All I saw was an eye. A glowing, golden red eye, and then I felt a burn course through me. It was painful. Like every nerve in my body was on fire. I opened my mouth to scream but no sound came out. I was terrified that I would burn inside out. That my bones, my very organs, were catching fire. But as soon as it started... It stopped. Afterward, I blacked out from the pain but that golden red eye stayed at the forefront of my mind for years. Even now I still think of it. Still wonder what it belongs to. Still longing to understand why I felt the pain.

But I supposed that I wouldn't ever completely understand it. Even if fate itself gave me the power I would need in the future. A few months after that event happened, I began my mage training. But I was unaware of what would go down that day and what would happen to the only family member who truly believed in my strength.

It was noon when I followed my grandfather to a clearing far from my home. And I could see the set-up of targets around the clearing. The clearing itself wasn't really special. It was big. Possibly two hundred and fifty yards. The targets themselves were made of wood and straw. Easily flammable.

"Now Blaze," my grandfather spoke. I looked up at him and saw fire dance in his light blue eyes. You see, my grandfather is an old veteran of the Mage War. Even at the age of seventy-five, he was still a force to be reckoned with. His white hair was slicked back and his beard was neatly trimmed. He stood tall, about six feet, with a broad build. He was a powerful fighter. Using his fire magic to enhance his already incredible physical capabilities.

My grandfather cleared his throat, bringing me out of my thoughts. I looked up at him and saw that he was amused.

"You ready to begin now?" he asked with a small smirk on his face and his arms crossed. I nodded, smiling sheepishly. "What is magic?"

"An energy that all mages have control over and are born with the control of the energy," I answered. "And when a mage focuses on this energy it forms a magic seal that generates their magic."

Grandpa nodded and held out a hand with the palm facing skyward. "That is correct, Blaze. But what of the element our family rules over? It is fire. An element of power. One of the most dangerous elements as it doesn't just cause destruction, but also life."

A spell seal appeared in his palm and I watched as fire erupted from it. I looked at the flame sitting in his palm. Watched as it danced. It was mesmerizing.

"Now you do it, Blaze," Grandpa told me.

I closed my eyes. Dug deep into my very being, searching for the power I knew I had. When I found it, I took hold of it and pulled with all my might. I opened my eyes as I channeled my magic into the palm of my hand and I watched as an unstable spell seal appeared. A spark and then the seal just vanished. Turning into ash. I looked down at the ground.

"It's alright Blaze," I heard my grandfather tell me. "You are young. You still have time."

I didn't say anything for a moment.

"Father said he'd banish me from the family if I can't perform a simple fire spell like my sister," I told him solemnly. "You know how he is..."

"You have only just begun your Mage training, Blaze," Grandpa stated. I heard his anger and knew that it wasn't aimed at me. It was towards my Father.