Chapter 5

Amberclaw pushed at the rocks below her, her pads aching. With a small wince, she jumped the next leap, flying over a chasm. She shuddered as she touched the ground again before watching Rustfern jump. Amberclaw, true to her word, had become less arrogant. But constantly bringing back the most prey still hadn't helped.

Even when they got to the mountains, at the end of each night, all the other cats were sore all over and aching, yet Amberclaw just had some sore pads. Perhaps it was because she had been running around her whole territory two times every morning and every night. This had helped her athletic skills and she was noticeably fitter and stronger than every cat in her Clan. Even against ThunderClan, who were supposed to be very strong, she could fight two cats and win.

Amberclaw supressed an eye roll as Rustfern slipped on the rocks and plummeted forwards. She leaned forward and easily grabbed onto his scruff. The tom started to drag her down and with a pang of fear, Amberclaw wondered if she'd been too reckless.

She dug her hind legs into the rocks, trying to find a paw hold. After making sure she was secure, she helped Rustfern up. His whole body was shaking, and he looked terrified.

"Ravenflight, you next. You should help Rustfern," Amberclaw called.

Amberclaw had been leading them lately, as Dawnmist was still injured and Ravenflight had to help Dawnmist. Ebonywind didn't like leading, and as for Rustfern and Blackshine? Blackshine was a new warrior, the age of an apprentice, while Rustfern wasn't used to leading at all.

Ravenflight jumped over with ease, although she stumbled a bit upon landing. There wasn't any trouble as the rest of the cats crossed. Flicking her tail, Amberclaw helped Dawnmist as the older she-cat's paw gave underneath her. In the corner of her eye, she spotted Ebonywind nodding in approval at her.

Pride washed over her as she ran ahead, scouting for a possible camping place for the night. It wasn't even sunset, but it was already getting chilly. The mountains sure were cold, for Greenleaf! She found a cave and headed back.

Once they were all settled in the cave, Amberclaw and Ebonywind went out to hunt. Their fur was whipped to their sides and she had to admit; she was freezing.

Ebonywind looked like she was thinking about something, and Amberclaw nudged her. "Care to share?"

Ebonywind nodded, a vacant look in her eyes. "I was thinking about the Clans. It's been two moons since we left. Brookblaze's kits should be apprentices by now."

Amberclaw sighed and she glanced at her paws. "I wonder how Brightwing's doing. She was really old when we left her. And Briarpaw's been a medicine cat for ages. She should get her full name soon."

They managed to catch two skinny mice, although they managed to spot an eagle. It had gotten away, after all, neither of them knew how to hunt them.

"Wow?" Blackshine's mouth dropped. "I thought...you were a good hunter, Amberclaw!"

Amberclaw let out a small hiss and opened her mouth to retort when Blackshine cut over her.

"It's amazing! I thought right! I knew you would catch something!" Blackshine rushed over to her and nuzzled her.

Fish-brain.

Amberclaw felt rage press in on her and she closed her eyes, holding her breath and counting to seven. She breathed out and stalked to her nest, trying to hold the anger in.

"Get up! You fools! Have you got eagles brains?"

Amberclaw snapped up immediately and she saw more than five cats at the entrance of the cave. They all had brown fur, although one looked like she had white fur as well.