Chapter 1

Amberclaw marched confidently at the head of their patrol. Naturally, as RiverClan's star warrior, she would lead, right?

Not right.

Ravenflight and Ebonywind pushed past her, whispering together as their tails twined automatically.

Did I miss something?

Amberclaw let out a snort of disbelief, trying to cover up her hurt as she fell in step with Rustfern.

They trekked through WindClan and ThunderClan territory until they reached a small hill. Amberclaw fastened her pace until she was beside Ravenflight and Ebonywind. "What's our plan?" she mewed.

Ravenflight twitched her ears, gazing across the hill before answering. "Honestly, Amberclaw, I have no idea."

"You're leading us, and you have no idea?" Amberclaw growled. "By StarClan!"

"We're finding the Tribe, right?" Dawnmist broke off her conversation with Blackshine.

Immediately, all five of the other cats looked at her. Dawnmist was the senior warrior on their trip, which made her very commanding.

"Yeah," Ebonywind agreed.

Amberclaw let out a little hiss, her temper flaring up, although she had no idea why.

Calm down, Amberclaw. Do what she told you to do.

Amberclaw took a deep breath in, imagining the soothing scent of her 'mentor' washing over her. She stretched then swivelled to re-join the conversation.

"Then you should lead us, Dawnmist." Ravenflight suggested, stepping backwards to give her space.

"Thanks, Ravenflight," Dawnmist dipped her head.

"What's happening?" Amberclaw demanded.

"Dawnmist has been to the Tribe before. She can lead us," Blackshine replied, his eyes bright.

The ginger warrior dipped her head, clearly grateful and thankful.

Deep breath in. Dawnmist is a stupid fish-brain. Ignore her and you'll be fine. Remember, you're RiverClan's star warrior! StarClan sent you to help your Clan.

Deep breath out.

Good. Thank you, my mentor.

Amberclaw felt the usual pang of relief as she remembered her wise mentor's steady voice, her calm mews teaching Amberclaw.

I owe her.

Amberclaw blinked but the cats were already a few fox-lengths ahead. "Mouse-dung!" she spat, hurrying to catch up.

By the time she caught up, Dawnmist had decided that they should make camp somewhere for the night. Amberclaw furiously glanced at the sun; it was only sunset.

I have stamina, fish-brains! Amberclaw sneered.

"Who made dirt in your fresh-kill?" a voice spoke, making her jump.

Amberclaw let out a sharp hiss, her fur on end. But it was only Dawnmist.

She's perceptive.

Noted.

Amberclaw shrugged, a scowl on her face before settling down on the soft grass to groom her fur. Dawnmist, to her annoyance, followed.

"C'mon, if you can tell anyone, you can tell me," Dawnmist persisted.

"In the name of StarClan, has anyone ever told you to shut up?" Amberclaw growled.

One. Two. Three. Four. Five.