Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Noelle Nightshade

My jaw drops. "What in the world...?" I trail off when I see Parker. "Parker?" I call out hesitantly. "Noelle? Noelle! There is a very reasonable explanation for this." He states. I open my mouth but no words come out. "Is there?" My voice goes high and squeaky. "Of course! Hailey and I just decided to confess-" I look at him like he's crazy. Which he is. "Parker. That... is not Hailey." I tell him. "Of course it is." He protests. "Parker. That's a wooden board." I state and start laughing. "Wha-? No it's not..." He trails off when he looks back at the board. He turns to me. "But... But that was Hailey." He states. "I have an idea. How about... we pretend this never happened? You never saw me here and I never saw you kissing a wooden board." I suggest amused at his befuddled expression. "But! That was Hailey!" He protests. "Sure it was. Next time, practice your kissing skills on a human not an object. Makes for less embarrassing situations. Awkward? That's a guarantee. " I offer him my wise advice, amused. "We never speak of this again. Agreed?" He says. "What do I get out of it?" I ask. He glares at me. "I hate you." He says blandly. I laugh. "Love you too, cuz." I smirk at him. He huffs and looks away. "Now. Let's go look for the actual Hailey so you can kiss her and promise not to cheat on her with objects." I tease him. He glares at me. "I thought it was Hailey." He defends. I frown when I feel a different presence in the air. It's familiar yet not. 'Warren did say to trust my instincts.' I chew on my lower lip and look around. The hair at the back of my neck stands up. I release my lip, feeling uneasy. "I think someone else is here. Besides the seven of us. Eight of us if you count the board." I say absentmindedly, looking around until my gaze lands on Parker and his wounded puppy dog eyes. I sigh and think, 'Solanine.' "Fine, I'll stop teasing you about it. I'm going to look for the others. Be careful." I say. He nods gratefully and walks off. I hear quiet footsteps and turn to my left. I slowly round the corner to see Vance. I sigh in relief. "Hey Vance. So that's two down, four more to go." I smile. He looks at me afraid. Then I notice.

"Why are your eyes black?" We ask in unison, stepping closer to each other.

"I asked first!" We both protest at the same time. And closer.

"Okay, you go." One step.

"No, you." One more step.

"I give up." And another.

"What?" We're standing face to face. I grab his hands to stop them from hitting my face and his sky blue eyes make an appearance.

"Just go first!"

"Your eyes are pretty!" I comment.

"What?" He turns red. "What? They just turned back to blue." I protest with a laugh. He joins in. I smile. "I think your eyes are pretty too, Noelle. But are you wearing contacts?" I tilt my head to the side. "Yeah. I have a number." I admit.

"Can I have it?"

"Can you have what?"

"Your number?"

"You like my contacts more than me? I'm hurt."

He rolls his eyes. "Your phone number."

"Sure. But you realize that this isn't going anywhere?"

"It's a platonic spark. Just friends."

"Promise?"

"Yes."

"Good."

"Good."

"I think this is one of the weirdest conversations I've had with anyone in sometime."