That Squeezing Feeling that Happens

That same night

That same night

Seokjin breathed deeply. "I think it's a romantic thing. It would be wonderful if it was real, wouldn't it? Soulmates. I certainly hope so." He had told Yoongi in all seriousness his half-belief in soulmates, eyes glazing over recalling memories of a time he thought he'd found just that.

It seems Yoongi expected a smug answer as well, compared to the more serious one Seokjin gave him, if his raised brows and shrug were anything to go by. "Yeah," he utters softly.

"Do-do you have anyone in your life like that?" Seokjin asks, a small part of him dying at the realization that this man he was so easily getting along with and feeling such confusing ideas of potentially wanting to get to know him more, could be with someone. Or not even entertain the idea of a 'someone' the way someone else might. Maybe Yoongi was straight and if he found out that Seokjin wasn't, he'd treat him like everyone else in this country.

Well, they had joked about his apparent "hitting" on Yoongi, so maybe he wasn't judgemental.

But —What if he's aromantic or something?

No, no it was much worse.

"Yeah. I do have someone, actually," Yoongi answers in a small voice, expression light, as his head droops shyly.

Seokjin's throat tightens in rejection before the offer was even on the plate. He doesn't miss the way Yoongi's eyes soften, lips curve into a gentle smile despite looking at the ground. Seokjin can't even tell if he's disappointed or relieved at the idea Yoongi already has someone. One, maybe there was a chance there. But two, Seokjin doesn't have to spend the energy chasing someone again.

Jin cracks his knuckles before speaking again disheartenedly. "I'm sure there's a reason but, why do you come here alone, then? Do they work nights?"

"Ah..." Yoongi reaches up to rub the back of his neck. "Long-distance, actually. Well, not super long, but not convenient either. Enough for a plane, plans, money, and just...life to get in the way of seeing each other."

Seokjin nods in unfortunate understanding. "I see. How often do you get to meet?"

Yoong chuckles awkwardly, sparing him a shy glance. "We um...haven't."

"You haven't-Oh..." Something sinks in his stomach. But Seokjin notices now that the book has been closed on Yoongi's lap again, his full attention on Seokjin.

Perhaps Yoongi needed to talk to someone just as much as Seokjin needed to as well. Hoseok and Namjoon were well and good friends. Since their first days of college, in which Seokjin would be graduated from about now if he hadn't dropped out. But sometimes, it takes a stranger to get the tough things off your chest, knowing they have no prior judgment of you and the potentiality of never seeing them again. It's comforting. But the way this stranger speaks, the way this stranger looks at him, is even more comforting.