Chapter 4 - Those who can

Rowan followed the Hogwarts teachers along the maze of corridors and passageways with a wariness befitting someone in his situation. The castle seemed to thrum gently with life beneath his feet, with both the footsteps of the hundreds of students making their way to bed, and with the magical vibrations of the many spells and enchantments that were embedded into the very stone of the walls and floors. For a normal wizard, or even a muggle, they would feel almost nothing, but to a mage?  It was extremely uncomfortable. The bottom of Rowan's feet fizzed and hummed, tickling him as if the ground itself was vibrating through his shoes, and in the air in front of him it was as if glass cobwebs had been strung haphazardly across the corridor. 

'Fay what are you doing?' Snape asked him lazily from in front as Rowan made another reflexive duck to avoid a particularly thick spell-remnant that had floated in front of his face. 'Anyone would think you had been struck by the dancing jinx. Or at the very least had your shoes filled with bubotuber pus.'

'Believe me, Severus.' Rowan said distractedly, standing on one leg in an effort to relieve the discomfort from at least one of his feet. 'It's not something I particularly enjoy either.' Snape gave him a wicked smile, but they continued onward all the same. The witches and wizards sweeping serenely along the corridor and the mage fidgeting along behind them.

Eventually, after what seemed like an age, they turned a corner, and filed into a small, but lavishly furnished room, complete with fireplace, wood-paneled walls, and well-upholstered armchairs. Rowan closed the door behind him, and as the other teachers took their seats, he headed over towards the corner of the room, and turned, still hopping slightly, to face the rest of the room.

Dumbledore and Snape had taken up positions in front of the fireplace, where they were speaking softly but quickly to each other. Dumbledore's expression was grave, and Snape was as unreadable as ever.

The other teachers had all taken up chairs or stools around the room and were chatting amiably with one another, no doubt inquiring after each others' holidays, their lesson plans, and whatever it is that teachers talk about when not in class. Rowan might've felt awkward to be standing apart from them, but he was used to solitude, and the chattering was beginning to make his head ring. However, he then spotted a fluffy pink shape wending its way towards him from between the tables and past the long, pointed hats, and took a deep, steeling breath, preparing himself for conversation. Resolutely, Rowan put down his feet, and despite the fiery pain now streaming from the soles of his boots, he made no sound nor movement to indicate his pain as Umbridge approached. 

Professor Umbridge walked primly over to Rowan with a stiff, straight-backed step, clasping a small pink handbag in her short, stubby fingers, with a determined smile on her face. However, her eyes were sharp, and when she spoke to Rowan, it was in the same high, girlish voice that he had heard through the doors of the great hall. 

'Mr. Faye,' Umbridge began, 'I am Dolores Jane Umbridge, Senior Undersecretary to the Minister for Magic, and the new Defence against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts. It's a pleasure to meet you.' She extended a hand, and Rowan took it immediately. Her grip was tight, and the large number of ugly, silver rings she wore made it rather uncomfortable. But a ministry official? He would have to be particularly careful here. To put it simply, the ministry were not fond of Mages.

'Likewise.' Rowan smiled winningly at her, doing his best "win-over-the-wizard" impression. It seemed to work, for the moment, and Umbridge released his hand with a prim smile, taking her handbag again and straightening, as if preparing to give a well-rehearsed speech.

'I confess, I did not recognize your name when Professor Dumbledore introduced you.' Umbridge told Rowan in the same girlish voice she had used earlier. 'Have you long been in the teaching profession?'