Light Bouncing off a Blade: I

Since the south doesn't really have a winter to speak of, Yendai seems baffled by his new coat when he thinks I'm not looking.

He keeps trying to push up the sleeves and is only more disconcerted when they don't stay there. I suggest that maybe he should buy a fur-lined hat while we're there and he backs away from the stand of them like I'm prone to shoving one forcibly onto him.

I do get a spare. He's going to want it later when he sees what cold weather does to his precious rainstorms.

I don't think to ask if he knows how to ride, but fortunately the only thing he seems confused by is the sheer size of the horses we have in the palace. They're larger than the nimble little ponies I remember from down south, and it takes him a moment to get used to the bulk of the animal beneath him.

Clearly outside of that minor hiccup, he's comfortable in the saddle. We'll be riding a long way, so it's for the best.

I bring my sword with me, passed down to me by my father with his dying breath. A crimson smear lies across the pommel – god's blood stains even the hardiest of surfaces and is reluctant to fade into a dull brown trace of itself.

Yendai, for his part, looks at the mass of weapons that makes up the royal armory and flits about before picking out a spear. It's well chosen, appropriate for his height. He spins it about in a long swirling motion and hums his approval.

"Thanks for letting me borrow this," he says, like I'm a kindly old lady and he needed some flour.

"Where we're headed, it's best that we're all armed." But I do give him a quick once over. "You... do know how to defend yourself, right?"

"Oh yeah," Yendai tells me with a grin, giving the spear another impressive looking twirl to emphasize his point.

I am not quite convinced, however. "I don't think anyone's going to be frightened off by performing threateningly at them."

"That's not all I can do," he protests. "But – well, you're the empress. What am I supposed to do, challenge you to a friendly sparring match so I can show off?"

"Now there's an idea." He squawks at my comment, a loud, alarmed noise that makes me laugh. That just seems to startle him more, so I try to school myself back into my normal stony veneer.

"But really," I continue, leading him out of the armory. "It might be fun. I was never the warrior in my family, but I like to think I have a few tricks up my sleeve."

"I do too! I know you don't think much of me, though I've not really done anything to help with that," –at least he's self aware, I can't help but think– "But I can handle myself in a fight, really."

"I'm sure," I say, amused. "But Yendai, do keep in mind that what we'll be seeing up north won't be your average highwaymen or, I don't know, rogue boar. These are monsters, and they are not easily frightened off. Do not be your usual foolhardy self."

"You've barely known me long enough to say if it's my 'usual' self!" Briefly, I turn to face him with what is clearly an incredulous look. "I – alright, you do have a point."

"Mm. I thought I might."

We lead our horses to the outside the palace grounds, where Rital sees me off. It's hard for them to remember that I – and probably even Yendai – am older than them by a fair degree. With no children to fuss over, I think they enjoy the experience of fretting over someone who at least appears younger than them.

"And you've packed enough rations, yes?"

"Of course, Rital. I barely need to eat anyways." Immortals like myself could survive off very little and still keep our normal strength for far longer than an ordinary human could.