Curtain Call

Historia

The violins and cellos synced in perfect harmony, nearly drowning out the piano which modestly presented its melody. The glass chandeliers glistened above, illuminating the ballroom entirely, creating the warm atmosphere among those socializing. It was odd, seeing people gather around like this with smiles on their faces. The only other time Historia witnessed a room full of people like this were at funerals for their fallen soldiers.

A burgundy polyester dress complimented her figure, perfectly hugging along her curves and breasts. The crochet lace long sleeves and trimming along the V neckline created the illusion that the dress was demure in its design. But, trailing along behind her shoulders showed the back of her skin, the lace banded just at below the top of her neck. Its full length skirt was romantic and was not exaggerated in anyway. She wanted a flexible dress in case she had to run or...fight.

Despite her handmaiden's objections, Historia cut a slit to the left side of the dress which rose all the way up her thigh. She cleaned up the edges without any issues – she use to fix her ripped clothes all by herself as a child.

The queen stood at the bottom of the staircase, watching everyone supposedly celebrate her birthday. The marble floors shined and the laughter of the people warmed the entire room. But, Historia felt miserable and alone. Not a single familiar face was amongst the crowd. When her arrival was announced and all eyes were on her, dozens of smiling faces greeted her but it wasn't the one she truly wanted to see.

She wondered where Levi was along with the rest of the scouts. Her heart sank deeper every minute that passed where she simply had to stand there and fake a smile to the strangers who approached her and wished her a happy birthday.

Captain Dolus remained at her side, stoic and focused.

With her hands clasped together, resting at her abdomen, Historia sighed loudly by accident. Without noticing, she allowed her shoulders to sink and her eyes wavered to the floor. That was when a boyish voice snapped her from her cogitations;

"...Happy Birthday, Your Majesty."

Picking up her eyes, Historia saw Elias standing before her, donning an all-white military ceremonial uniform; the. The folding of his coat overlapped to the side and was traced with light blue. He wore a golden aiguillette over his right shoulder which was tucked into his breast pocket. He truly looked like her white knight – it made her uncomfortable.

She shined a gentle smile and said,

"Hello, Elias." He bowed before standing up straight again with that same wide smile.

"I hope you are enjoying yourself?" He seemed to ask the question but already knew the answer to it.

His eyebrows furrowed, his puppy eyes washed away his bright smile into a frown.

"...Why do you seem so sad?" He was the only one who noticed. It was hard to dismiss his concerned expression.

"...I-I'm fine – just a bit tired is all." Her eyes wavered as she told the lie. It was odd, not being able to lie with a straight face anymore.

Elias stood there, she could feel his eyes staring but he remained silent as if the answer would be on her.

"...Well-"

"Your Majesty, your friends are here." Captain Dolus silenced Elias and caught the Queen's attention immediately. Moving her focus from him to the floor, she saw her old comrades walking together like a pack. Her heart fluttered at the sight of the, Connie was scolding Sasha as she looked uncomfortable in her dress, Jean and Armin were like children at the candy store, taking in the beauty of the ballroom and Mikasa gazed around quietly curious.