Chapter 2: Madmax

Two months passed by and Charlie was enjoying her new life living with the Byer's. It was the first sense of ordinary she ever really had and was intrigued to see how ordinary families worked. It was near Halloween and Charlie was so excited to trick or treat and have her first Halloween. First she had to do the thing normal kids hated. Go to school. She loved it. She finally felt herself. The only problem is her new family did not know anything about her past or about how she has Pyrokinesis. She did not plan on telling them and she just hoped that maybe she got control over them after burning down the lab. She still knew she had to learn to control them on her own and she found the perfect place for it. This old junkyard. She struggled to find time to go though because Joyce wouldn't leave her alone. Another problem was people looked at her strange sometimes She talked in a way that was a lot more mature than her years and it was very obvious. 

Charlie got up one morning and saw Will running around the room looking for something in the seat of the couch. She thought it was strange how protective Joyce was over Will but it wasn't any of her business in her opinion. She walked over to Will and asked him "What are you doing?". He jumped a little and her said in an annoyed voice "money for the arcade". "What's that?" Charlie asked with a confused look on her face. Will's face softened and he said "It's a place where you use coins to play games". "Oh" she replied. "Can I come?". Will looked like he was going to answer kindly but then his mood changed unpredictably and pushed her aggressively and screamed "No". Charlie squinted her eyes shut and tried to pretend sahe was somewhere else. Anywhere else and she got a memory from the lab. She remembered Rainbirds mood changes and how he was doing it all along to kill her and she felt the panic rise in her body. She got chills and felt tears prick the edges of her eyes. Her whole body felt so in the memory she didn't realise she had just zoned out completely and looked terrified and distant. Will snapped out of this and felt instantly guilty. 

Before he could apologise and check if she was okay he saw Jonathan and Joyce in the doorway. They both had seen Will's mood change and him push her and Joyce and Jonathan asked if she was ok giving Will a dirty and confused look. What was that? thought Joyce. Will has always been so weird with her. Joyce thought maybe he just needed some time with her. To adjust. It must be strange having a new kid in the family. She told Will he had to take her to the arcade if he was to go at all. He seemed angry at this. Mike didn't have to take Holly and Lucas didn't have to take Erica. He grudgingly let her come after a bit of an argument. Joyce drove them both to the arcade and Will got out of the car excitedly. Charlie stepped out of the car and looked at the sign in awe. Will introduced her to Dustin, Mike and Lucas and they walked into the arcade. She clasped some coins in her palm and walked away from the boys and looked at different screens around the room while they all clamoured around one. She put a coin in and after a few goes she understood a few of the games. 

She saw the boys shout at this staff member called Keith and as she looked away she saw Will walk towards the door. She followed him and stood beside him and said "Will what's wrong?". He seemed to be in a trance. She waved her hand in front of his face. That was until he suddenly grabbed her hand tightly and her hand felt like it had erupted into flames and she was in so much pain that she couldn't even scream. Tears actually fell down her face this time. He pulled his hand away from her as fast as he grabbed it and looked up at the sky while she grabbed her singed hand and was almost on her knees in silent pain. She heard a familiar voice saying "Will, are you okay?". It was Mike. He passed by her like she didn't exist and brought Will inside saying comforting words to him. There was a hand print around her wrist burnt into her wrist where Will grabbed it. She walked inside in defeat. Will's friends acted like she didn't exist and like they hated her. She went to the bathroom and ran her hand under water until she heard Joyce arrive.

The next day she completed an isolated first day of school that was lonely and frustrating. When she got back she heard Will talking about this girl called "MadMax" in the arcade. She was better than them at games. He also went to the lab. The sound of the word gave Charlie the chills. She wondered what he was doing there. She had a bad feeling and decided to try to stay away from Will and not be near him alone. Her new life is certainly interesting. One thing she likes is talking to Bob, Joyce's boyfriend. He is so kind and sticks up for Charlie when Will is acting weird. She also had her ninth birthday. It was a quiet birthday with Joyce, Jonathan and Bob celebrating and Will glaring at her out the side of his eye and happy for her the next minute. He is nice most of the time but I get scared when he turns and it can happen at any minute. She blew out the candles on her birthday cake with nine candles.