FIFTEEN [ Working for the future ]

Yuan Shen felt like the lady in front of him deliberately approached him; once was luck, twice was a coincidence and the third time definitely makes him think something is up.

And he was even asked to partner with her. For what? For rummaging through trash can like a street rat? 

"No"

After answering, he didn't pay attention to her anymore and took out some useful things such as wires, a clock that has  broken glass, some food that has yet to rot.

He was still collecting some papers and cartoon to sell when he heard clanging and rustles from beside him. Taking one peek, he was shocked to see the clean hands of this lady turned murky brown from the oil that spilled from her hands.

"What are you doing?!" He couldn't help but have a fire burning in his heart, that oil could have been saved but it was now spilled.

"I'm helping you, besides, this oil has been used for so long" her head didn't even lift to face him as she continue scouring the trash. "Here, this would be much better"

A can of tuna passed the expiry date for two days was given to him. He started blankly at the pair of dirty hands in turmoil before grabbing it.

Pride stems highly from his heart, no amount of pity could help them but necessities given to him for survival was still in his top priority. What he want is time, he wanted to grow up quickly and work so that they can get out of this rathole.

His mother's condition is worsening, his time is limited and he was still a child. He could be given out to those white eyed wolf relatives from his mother's side or those condescending Phoenix father of his. Either option was not included in his selection.

"I won't be your partner" he stiffly added, his eyes never leaving the goods he collected from the trash. "But I will pay for the tuna"

"No need, just take me whenever you go trash diving"

With that said, she never looked back to see his reaction and left leaving him staring at the thin figure walking away from his sight.

...

"Here's some milk"

Mia Chen was sorry for her daughter, she couldn't accompany her due to time constraints and her work. Seeing how hardworking her child is, the once naive and well-behaved child became much studious and persistent.

"Thank you, mom" I took a sip, enjoying the milk given to me. It was a familiar taste once lost from the ocean of time.

"It's already 11, you should sleep now and continue later" Mia Chen advised, looking at the practice exams from her child and the already dark neighborhood she felt distressed.

When a child had an epiphany, parents wished they could still be as carefree as a child. If they were still as carefree as a child, parents worry that they would be crushed by reality.

"I'm going to finish one more subject before I sleep" I also agreed to balance my studies and rest after all I have experienced dizziness from lack of sleep in my old work.

With one last concerned gaze, my mother left and I focused to the last subject— English. This time, I have already memorized 50 words from the dictionary and applied it to the tests in front of me.

Only by studying will I ease the regret in my heart and be released from poverty.

***
I would love to write more chapters but I just can't now, I dunno I'm just not into writing now that I have work. Maybe in the near future I'll try to write again but not now, I suppose.