Chapter 18

Rue’s grip tightened against the cold steering wheel. “Fuck.” She shouted and slammed one hand against the wheel. “Fuck, Fuck, FUCK!” She shouted, louder this time and repeatedly hit her hand against the hard surface.

Taking a deep shaky breath, she glanced at Fezco who was staring straight ahead with a hard deep expression on his face. “What the fuck are we gonna do Fez?” She asked, her voice quivering. “They’re gonna find us, they’re gonna find Lexi and they’re gonna fucking kill us.”

“No they won’t.” He told her, his voice surprisingly calm.

“What do you mean? They know where we live!” She groaned and slammed on the breaks, pulling the car sharply over to the side of the road. “Man, I'm gonna be sick.”

Once the car had stopped, she jumped out and heaved into the grass on the side of the busy street. Fez got out too, trying to ignore the pain in his ankle as he walked to her and patted her back, looking around at the faces in the cars that drove past. “Hurry up Rue, we got to keep moving.”

“You know what,” Rue snapped, wiping her mouth with the back of her sleeve as she turned to face Fez. “Fuck this and fuck you!” She shouted and slammed her hands into his chest, making him stumble back. “If it wasn’t for you, I'd be fine. Do the job she asked for, my last job in fact and I'd be on my way to a free life.”

“I told you, this would never end. There ain't no last job with these guys. They’d always own your ass.”

“How do you know?” She asked, frowning at him.

“Because I thought I had paid back my debt. I worked my ass off when I was inside to pay them back. But here I am, still owing them. It never ends.” He told her and reached his hand out to smooth her arm. “This is all we can do. Either run, or kill them.”

“Kill them?” She asked with shock on her face. “Oh man, this is the last thing I expected to happen today.”

Fez tried not to smile. Rue had been through a lot of shit in her life, but not as much as Fezco. She never had to learn that it's either kill or be killed in this world.

“What about this is at all funny?” She demanded.

Fez shook his head, there was no time to stand her talking. “We need to get to Lexi’s, now. Are you ok to drive because of my ankle?” He asked her, and looked at the trees around them. He snapped off a few small branches, maybe he could do something with them to support his leg.

She nodded quickly and made her way back around the car. Once they were both back inside, she sped off. No one spoke for the remainder of the journey to Lexi’s home. Fez groaned and moaned a few times as he examined his ankle. It was swelling and looking a bit off colour, definitely not a good sign. He placed the branches of either side of his leg, tore off a strip of his clothes to tie around it. Hopefully this will help him enough for now as they escaped.

***

They pulled up outside Lexi’s house not long after. The sun was now up and the birds chipped cheerily around them as they sat in the car, examining the house. There was no sign of anyone, no Laurie, no big bad men.

Fez opened the door and Rue followed, they pulled their hoods up on their jackets and walked as quickly as they could manage over to her house. Fez kept glancing around, but there were no jeeps lurking around that he could see.

He was hopeful that they had arrived first.

Rue knocked the door, a bit too hard and forcefully. As Fez looked down at her though, he could see the fear in her eyes.

“Do they know about Jewel?” Fez asked.

Rue shook her head. “I don’t think so. My mum and Gia moved away a few years ago. So it’s just me at home.” She trailed off, her eyes now far away as she lost herself to her thoughts. “I never mentioned Jules, they never saw her…”

The door opened. Lexi’s bright and beaming face saw Fezco first, a smile instantly forming as she saw him. Then, a frown appeared when she noticed Rue too.

Rue pushed herself inside and Fez took hold of Lexi’s shoulders and moved her inside, quickly shutting the door behind them.

“What are you doing here… together?” She asked, her face clearly puzzled.

Rue stood next to Fez, they both swallowed, unsure where to even begin to explain what was going on.

“Girl, we’re all in some deep shit.” Rue said, her eyes brimming with tears.

Lexi rushed to her side, trying to comfort her. “Why? What happened?” Lexi asked, as Rue started crying. Lexi took her to the living room and sat her down. She looked up at Fez, her face shocked but also frightened.

It was an expression Fezco had hoped to never see her wear.

Fez pulled lexi back out into the hallway. He took her hands in his and squeezed them tight. “You know, when I was inside I had to do stuff. Stuff to stay alive?”

Lexi hesitated then nodded slowly. “Yeah?”

He took a deep breath and explained everything. Trying to tell the whole story about being a part of Laurie’s gang inside for protection while trying to be as quick as possible, cautious of the time ticking away where her men could be getting closer. He explained the type of things he had to do. Then he came clean and told her what happened when he came home. The photos. The threats. What they wanted him to do. Lexi gaped at him, but she never interrupted. He explained that Rue also owed her money. That seeing her there too made him realise that this would never end. There would always be another job, another favour.

“We have to leave.” He told her.

“Leave?” She asked, shaking her head. “And go where?”

“Anywhere.” He replied, squeezing her hand again. “We can go anywhere and have a fresh start, together.” He said, imagining the possibilities he could have with her.

“We can’t just leave. I have work, school with kids that rely on me. I have this house that I own. Family and friends that need me.” She pulled her hands from him, and rubbed her forehead.

Fez nodded. “I know, I'm asking you for so much. To give up so much. I wish I could take it back. Meeting you again, it has put you in so much danger and I'll never forgive myself for that.” He paused, seeing if she had anything to say.

Lexi didn’t say anything, she just looked at him with that same expression that hurt his heart.

He closed the distance between them. “Not long ago, you told me that you loved me. And I know that I love you, I will do everything I can to keep you safe.” He told her, as he gently tilted her chin up to look at him.

She hesitated before she replied. “I do love you. But this is a lot to take in.”

He nodded and stepped away. “I know. But, we have to go. They could come here any minute.”

Lexi stepped away from him and made her way upstairs quickly. She packed a bag, her toothbrush, hair brush and enough clothes for the next few days. Grabbing her phone, she called work as she ran back down stairs. She told them she had a family emergency and she’d be away for a few days. Lexi never called in sick so they believed her instantly.

Fezco was standing by the front door, peering out the little side window when he turned to look at her. “I’m ready.” She announced, and then looked down to notice his foot. “What did you do? Are you ok?”

“I’ll explain in the car.” He told her, “Rue, let’s go.”