I2I

_

So. It has come to my knowledge that Will is gay, (BYLER all the way). Unfortunately, I've come too far into this story to change Y/N's gender—and I do not have enough time to go back and rewrite the whole thing. If everyone is okay—and not offended by it—I am going to write Will to be bi. I hope this suits everyone, and if it does not, please do not feel inclined to keep writing. 

_

ONTO THE STORY!!

_

"I don't know how many times I have to speak to you, Y/N," Mrs. Gracey says angrily. "We do not speak that way to our classmates." 

Angela gives me a haughty look from across the room. 

"Look, I'm sorry Mrs. Gracey, but—" I smirk at Angela. "I don't believe in disrespecting other classmates, honestly. And, Angela's comments were passive-aggressively bitchy towards Jane." I shrug. "Anyone can see that." 

El—still frozen at the front of the room shifts her hands nervously along her presentation. The box trembles slightly in her fingers. 

Mrs. Gracey's expression does not change in the slightest. "Well I hope you can see how you may come off as hypocritical, Y/N, seeing as you so blatantly shot an aggressive comment at Angela less than two minutes ago." 

I fold my hands on my desk. "I don't think I follow. I only told Angela to please remain quiet while Jane finishes her presentation. If you want to give me detention for speaking my mind, then go ahead."

Mrs. Gracey seems at a loss for words. I pray that she doesn't notice the gaslighting and decides to move on. 

"Jane, please continue. Everyone must sit quietly until she is finished. The next person who speaks will receive two weeks of detention." 

"That was so stupid, Y/N," Will sighs, placing his books in his locker and slamming it shut. "How many detentions have you had already?" He runs a hand through his brown hair, casting a look at El, who is still holding back tears, courtesy of Angela the bitch. 

"I lost count," I shrug, smiling at him. "C'mon Will, I'm not just going to let Angela walk all over my sister like that. She just doesn't deserve to go without consequence." 

"But when is the consequence for her going to stop affecting you?" He wraps a subtle hand around my waist. "I don't get to see you when you're in detention. That's like, an hour every day." 

I wrinkle my nose. "Poor you. More time for you to spend painting I guess." I shut my own locker, looking at him. "What are you painting anyways? You spend so much time locked up in your room and you won't show anyone." 

"I promise, that when it's done, you'll be the first to see it," he follows me down the hallway to our next class. "I just need it to be perfect." 

"Always the perfectionist, weren't you, Will." 

"You know it." 

El still seems down in the dumps when the end of the day comes around. She carries her diorama high, hugging it to her body like someone is trying to destroy it. Which they are, as I soon realized. 

Will and I continue out towards the parking lot as I spot Angela's group approaching El. One of the guys trips her, and she goes sprawling across the pavement. 

"Shit," Will swears, and we both walk towards her. 

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry," the guy says sarcastically, casually drop kicking El's project. 

I seethe, hand clenching at my side. The outside lights of the school flicker. 

"Y/N, don't," Will urges. 

"See, I'd love to listen to you," I blow out a breath. "But El's not going to handle this on her own."