[ 026 ] i know it's over

026: i know it's over

Joey believed she was getting sick.

For a brief moment, she thought perhaps she was infected. But after scoungering her body five times through for bites, and making Carl look at the places she couldn't, she concluded she was fine. Her skin was itchy, her head hurt, and she couldn't eat or drink. She found herself vomiting more than usual. Bill said her body was processing all the grief finally—and that she had been through a lot that her body didn't realize until now. Joey hated feeling sick—she also didn't like the idea that it was because of grief. It seemed like such a pathetic way to drive yourself ill.

It took a while for things to go back to normal after Rick killed Pete. Deanna sat in the spot where Reg died for two days. The only way they got her to move was so she could eat. Bill told Joey that Deanna hadn't left her house since.

Rick was trying to obtain a second in command position, and it seemed as though he attained it. A lot of the civilians were still on edge about him—Joey thought they had the right to. But also that they wouldn't survive much longer if it weren't for them. They knew the way things were and how to stop it. They were the only hope this community had.

Joey felt good again, now that she and Finn were back to normal. She thought that Finn might've been jealous of her and Carl, and as much as he was, she was glad he got over it. It was stupid to be jealous of him. Joey will always love Finn like a brother, and Carl wouldn't change that.

Joey felt as though she was melting into her bed. The world was moving on the outside without her, and she felt weak and feeble. Bill came into her room one morning and sat on the edge, nudging her awake with a hand to her arm. She was half asleep but pretended to be fully sleeping so he would leave her alone about getting rest. He nudged her again and whisper-yelled her name. Joey took a moment before she woke up. "What." she grunted, guiding an arm over her eyes to block out the sunlight.

"How're you feeling, kiddo?"

She shrugged, struggling to sit up. It was almost like she couldn't lift her head off the pillow without it being dragged down, like it was filled with water and she couldn't hold it up. "I probably should start moving. Staying in bed all day isn't helping."

Bill chuckled, patting her leg. "You deserve to stay in bed. You look like shit."

"Thanks."

Bill reached to give her the cup of water on her nightstand. She took it with haste and tried to sip it, feeling slightly less dead than she had in previous days. Only Carl, Finn and Bill had come to see her—occasionally Carol and Glenn. It wasn't like she was dying. She wasn't dying and didn't need their pity and ugly gifts as though she had terminal cancer and had a month to live. At least, she thought she didn't. Joey was beginning to think it wouldn't be that bad of an option.

"Rick discovered a horde not far from here. We're meant to lead them away from Alexandria, as far as possible. You think you can hold down the fort while we're gone? Mostly everyone is helping, except for the old and the young."

Joey sat up, stiff, in her bed and shook her head. "I can help. I'm feeling fine."

Bill shook his head. "I know, kiddo. But you gotta stay here. We need people to protect Alexandria while it's vulnerable, with all of us gone."

"Why don't you stay, and I go?"

Bill shook his head, laughing. "You're very funny sometimes." he stopped laughing when he realized that Joey wasn't trying to be funny. "Is Finn going?" she asked, and he sighed, pinching his tear ducts. "Is he?" she pried again, and Bill nodded his head slowly. "Yes he's going."