6. Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Angelo stood face-to-face with himself in the mirror. Sure, he ruined his parents' lives and trapped himself in an ongoing lie to them and his brother, all of which ate away at his psyche with each passing moment, but he had one thing going for him.

Good eyes. Aiden's words played in head on repeat. It had to mean something for that much of a jerk to say something nice to him. Or maybe he was nice? He laughed at Leon, so he couldn't be. Plus, the results backed it up. Over the past few days, his eyes led him and Aiden to high scores and high praise–even from Captain Galhardo! Angelo finally had a useful skill. Two if he counted being able to work the furnace.

Which meant he had to stay on this ship as long as possible.

"Hey Ángie." A dejected Leon greeted him in the hallway. "Roxie told me that a rock from Mia's collection ended up in the kitchen, so I thought maybe I should try searching farther out for my phone, but," he sighed, "no luck."

"I-I'm sorry..." Angelo truly was despite everything.

"It's okay." Leon tried to comfort him. "No matter what, it has to be here somewhere! I just hope everyone at home's not worrying too much." They were, but for reasons he couldn't even begin to suspect. "C'mon, let's sleep on it."

Angelo stood back while his brother knocked on their door.

"Aiden, can we come in?"

"...I'm not naked if that's what you're asking."

Both Summers entered the room to find Aiden laying on his bed, fully clothed. Angelo tried to pretend he wasn't there as he approached the bunk bed ladder.

Then he heard it again.

"Hm? Did you notice something?" asked Leon.

"S-Sorry. It was just my imagination." Angelo reminded himself.

"He's been doing that every day." Aiden really didn't have to point that out.

Leon didn't seem to think much of it, thankfully. "Huh. Ready for bed?"

"Yes." Angelo placed a hand on the ladder.

Luckily for Angelo, Interstellar Forces Basic Training didn't require him to do any climbing. Unluckily, getting to his new bed did. This led to Leon helping Angelo climb to bed every night

"Why don't you just switch beds?" Aiden really didn't have to ask that either.

"Huh." Leon considered it. "That does make sense. Ángie, do you want me to take the top bunk?"

"No!" Angelo's instinct took over. "I-I mean, no. I want to climb it myself."

"Oh, okay! You only really needed me for emotional support, anyway. Do you wanna try tonight?"

He looked up at the ladder. "...Maybe tomorrow."

"Alright." His brother laughed good-naturedly. "Up you go. Don't worry, I'll stay right here to catch you."

Angelo could've hugged Leon on the spot, but knowing Aiden would see made him think twice. Instead, he climbed up the ladder feeling safe with his brother behind him.

Leon finally backed away once Angelo crawled into his bed. "Good night, Ángie!"

"Good night, Big Brother."

He backed toward the light switch. "Good night, Aiden."

No response came back. Angelo didn't know why he bothered. The light turned off, and the newest ranger finally snuggled into bed.