Chapter 3 Pilot Part 3

We hid and waited until the police went away. We didn't really have much of a choice. We couldn't go anywhere without Baby and since Dean had been taken in by the police, Sammy had to drive. Luckily I had already found the address when the police arrived.

"Are you sure this is the place?" Sammy asked. We were still in the car. When we arrived at the place it was hard to believe anyone still lived there. It looked less like a home and more like a junkyard. Filled with old, broken cars and useless trash.

"I'm positive," I assured Sam.

We walked out of the car and over to, what was supposedly the front door. The door had a window, it was dirty and grimy, with a chain link covering it.

Sammy knocked on the door while looking to see if there was another door or entrance to the ‘house’.

An old man opened the door. "Hi. Are you Joseph Welch?" Sammy asked.

"Yeah," He replied.

The three of us were walking in what I could only assume was a driveway. "Did another older man pass by here by any chance?" I questioned, wondering if Dad had passed by here.

I saw Sammy take something out of his pocket. It was the photo from the motel. I hadn't even noticed him taking it. He passed it to Joseph "Yeah, he was older, but that's him. He came by three or four days ago. Said he was a reporter." Joseph said as he handed the photo back to Sammy.

"That's right. We're working on a story together." Sammy lied.

"Well, I don't know what kind of story you're working on. The questions he asked me-"

"About your late wife, Constance." Sammy finished his sentence, cutting him off.

"He asked me where she was buried," Joseph said in a slightly disturbed tone.

"And where is that again?"Sammy asked, trying not to sound suspicious but failing.

"I gotta go through this twice?" Joseph said, confused.

"We just wanted to make sure we got every detail of the story right." I lied. I don't like lying but in cases like these, I don't have much of a choice.

"It's fact-checking. If you don't mind." Sammy reaffirmed, continuing, my sentence.

"In a plot behind my old place over on Breckenridge," Joseph answered.

"And why did you move?" Sammy questioned.

"I'm not gonna live in the house where my children died." He explained. I could tell it pained him to talk about his children. It's truly unfortunate. Sometimes monsters are made from a few unfortunate accidents and regrets. I hope that one day both people and monsters alike will learn to find rest and peace.

Sammy stopped walking, causing Joseph and I to stop as well "Mr. Welch, did you ever marry again?"

"No way. Constance, she was the love of my life. Prettiest woman I ever known." Joseph replied. I could see regret and guilt in his eyes. The poor man, I'm sure he truly loved her and it was obvious he regrets everything he's done. I pitied the man.

"So you had a happy marriage?" Sammy said in an innocent tone. Joseph had no clue that Sammy and I knew the truth of their marriage and to him, it was just an innocent question.

He hesitated to answer "Definitely."

"Well, that should do it. Thank you for your time." Sammy said, deciding not to press the issue any further.

We started to walk to the impala. I was about to open the door and enter but I noticed Sammy stop "What's wrong?" I queried and tilted my head.

Sammy looked back toward Joseph "Mr. Welch, did you ever hear of a Woman in White." Sammy called out.