Chapter 1 - The Beast

The man woke up with a start, sitting up in his bed. He looked around his room, the desk with scattered bits of paper on it, he stood up slowly and picked one up. It was the daily news, he hadn't had time to read it in the day because the man was so busy at work, he had been there for roughly 10 years and there had never been so much work in one day before, the man skimmed through the pages.

Something caught his eye, there was a picture of a new dungeon beast that had just spawned, it was not that far in, and for some reason, it was climbing higher and higher to the top. The beast closely resembled another type of dungeon beast called a 'minotaur'.

After the man had looked through the rest of the newspaper, he put it back on the desk and laid down on his bed again, it groaned under his weight because of the rotten legs of it. But it soon quietened down, and he fell into a deep sleep.

The next morning, the man woke up again. The sun was shining through the half-shut curtains and illuminated the small room. He stood up and put on his shirt, trousers, and a robe even though it was really hot. He went downstairs and saw his pregnant wife was already preparing breakfast slowly.

They were expecting the baby any day now and it brought joyful tears to his eyes. He quickly wiped them off with the sleeve of his robe and announced his presence in the room. "Good morning." he said.

"Didn't expect to see you down here so early in the morning, Alex." She replied jovially.

"Miranda, you know I have to go to work in half an hour. I have a feeling that it will a busy day today..." Alex replied, after what he had read in the newspaper, he feared that he would end up going after the beast before it could escape the dungeons.

His job is to be a beast hunter, what he do for a living is kill beasts and sell their corpses so some rich people can either take credit for the kill, make it a decoration or eat its flesh in hopes that it will give away some magical properties to the eater. Or they could just do all of them.

"Well, you have been known to be late to work, honey. And what do you mean that you think it will be extra busy today?" Miranda questioned.

"Nothing, it's just a feeling." he lied smoothly. She put the breakfast on the table, and the man gobbled up the contents, which was some piping hot sausages. That done, he stood up from the table and checked my old-fashioned watch. "Would you look at that, work starts in 10 minutes." he might be late.

Alex went outside and walked out into the town, he waited at the travel station for a cart to come by and told them to take him to the dungeon entrance, his work station was posted just outside of it so that it would be easier for the beast hunter's to get to and from the work station, by now, you all are probably wondering what a dungeon is?

Well, there are only a few dungeons in the world, they are incredibly hard to locate and can be in the most deserted of areas to the most populated town. Dungeons are special places here on Earth. They are the only places you can find dungeon beasts, hence the name, dungeon beast materialize in the dungeon, when we found the first one, it was heavily populated with beasts because they just kept spawning over time.

For one reason or another, dungeon beasts aren't capable of leaving the dungeons unless they are tamed. Taming Is a story for another time though. The deeper into the dungeon you go the more powerful the mobs are. We also split the dungeon into 'Floors' which is categorized based on the bosses. In each floor, there is a boss. Every time you kill a boss, within 10 minutes and new beast spawns which is capable of replacing the boss. Then it goes into the 'boss zone (Where the original boss lived) and becomes the boss for the next person to kill.

Now the people, there are multiple types of people who go into the dungeons. One type are like Alex, they make a living out of hunting beasts. Another type are adventurers, they go into the dungeons with friends or alone for fun, and they try to get as deep as possible and try to get better stuff from the dungeon beasts so they can sell it to make new gear or to pay for the rent of their homes or stuff like that. But they don't do it as an official job. But in a way, they are a lot like beast hunters.

Another type of person who goes into dungeons are referred to as 'dungeoneers'. They are the most powerful people. They usually start off as adventurers but then become really powerful, so they start living in the dungeons and trying to get to the end of the dungeon. So far, we aren't even sure if there is an end to the dungeon, but the furthest anyone has gone is floor 67.

Now that Alex had got to his workstation, he looked at the quest board, Alex really wanted to be the one to kill that beast and sure enough, there were dozens of flyers for a quest to kill the beast. He widened my eyes at the reward. They got to keep the most valuable item from the beast and get 5,000,000 crowns! That's enough to pay for his house twice over! They could buy a mansion!

Alex licked his lips with greed and took one of the flyers. He had an advantage over most people, he had natural magic, which is magic you are born with, in most cases, natural magic is stronger than artificial magic which is taken from dungeon beasts flesh. Alex's natural magic had a strong affinity with fire. So, he had learned how to use 3 magical abilities, which is quite a feat for my age.

The first one is fire arrow, which is exactly as it sounds, a fiery bow and arrow materializes in my hands, which he could then shoot. The second magical ability is fire shield, which creates a dome of fire around me which can block anything up to 200KG of power. It also burns whatever it touches it from the outside, but he could still shoot enemies with his fire arrow and his last ability. Which is meteor rain, this is Alex's most powerful attack, but it drains his mana and makes him very tired. It shoots down fiery meteors from above and rains down on Alex's opponents.

All this time I was explaining to you what my abilities were, Alex had ran to the dungeon elevator, on the newspaper it said it was last sighted at floor 55. By now It had probably gone up a few floors so he went to floor 50 and he would make his way down. But as the elevator doors opened to reveal floor 50 of the dungeon. I saw the very beast I was looking for, standing at the elevator doors.

It was smart, Alex figured it out straight away, it saw that people were going to Floor 1 using the elevator so it waited for the next one to come to this floor and would take it all the way up to the dungeon entrance. For some reason, Alex felt that this beast would be able to get through the dungeon entrance and into the world.

The beast itself was grinning at Alex. It had rows of sharp canine teeth and had a golden ring going through its nose. It's weapon was a gigantic war axe and it was raised high in the air, ready to strike.

"You... Die..." the beast said with difficulty.