Chapter 3

People screwed up. It happened sometimes, because error was human and it was okay, that was good. Hashiras were humans too, with more responsibilities than ordinary humans, yes, but humans nonetheless.

However, this time they all really, really fucked up.

There were extenuating circumstances, yes, but for once no one had any excuse. They were in a hurry, blinded by their rage, their anger and the bitter taste of a supposed betrayal that burned the back of their mouths.

They were the Hashiras, the Pillars of the Demon Slayer Corps.

They were supposed to be flawless, models of strength, integrity, efficiency. Symbols of hope, leading figures in the millennial struggle they led. They were meant to be examples.

No fucking traitors in the pay of demons, as Sanemi had yelled as Ubuyashiki's crow scuttled away to keep carrying the news.

A trial, it had said.

An emergency meeting to rule on the fate of Kamado Tanjiro, Mizunoto, who was traveling accompanied by his demonic sister. Apparently, before the crow from Oyakata-sama issued his command, Kochou was going to execute the demoness but had been prevented by the intervention of Tomioka, who had gone so far as to draw his blade against her. They had clashed, without using lethal force, of course, but they had still clashed and that was enough for the majority of Hashiras to make their decision. If hatred of demons hadn't been enough motivation, Tomioka's actions coupled with the dislike most of his colleagues felt for him had been the last nail in the coffin.

The demon would be beheaded, its brother subjected to the judgment of the Hashiras and removed from office, and Tomioka severely punished, as he should.

... But that was not what had happened.

Because they screwed up.

Badly.

Giyuu was anxious.

Yes, he thought that's the right term to describe his current situation, as Kochou swiftly escorted him to Oyakata-sama's domain.

Meeting Tanjirou and Nezuko on Mount Natagumo had been a very, very unpleasant surprise. Considering that two Hashiras had been requested on the spot and that the place was absolutely swarming with demons, he feared that something had happened to his charges. And considering the state in which he had found them, he had been right to worry, especially seeing the 5th Lower Moon preparing to finish off a Tanjirou sprawled on the ground, completely exhausted from his previous battles. At the sight, his blood had swirled and "Lull" had never been so efficient and deadly before. The threads that had rushed at him had dissolved into nothingness and the demon had been killed with a sharp blow before he rushed towards the young boy on the ground.

And Tanjirou was in a bad state, covered with cuts and wounds more or less deep. The smell of blood and sweat was acrid in his nostrils, the natural scent of his cub almost indistinguishable below. Nezuko was no better, and although her regeneration closed the cuts, her kimono was absolutely drenched in his blood. He would have to see if he could find her a new one, so that she could keep this one safe : Tanjiro told him it was a gift she received from their mother for her 12th birthday. The fabric could only be washed and darned a number of times before falling apart and Demon Slayer's life was not kind to the clothes...

He had exchanged a few words with Tanjirou, his mind calmed by the young man's clear answers. He was just exhausted. Once driven out of the mountain, Giyuu could have him escorted to the Water Domain or to Urokodaki-sensei's for treatment and rest.

Except, as he began to plan their journey home, he suddenly found himself unsheathing his sword to block an incoming attack made with intent to kill.

Shinobu parried with her own blade, deftly dodging his strike and Tomioka knew, painfully sure, that they were screwed.