The Esper Union

Kai: Really?  That's all you guys could do?

I stood in an alleyway behind a bar, Grimm in my hand, surrounded by unconscious gang members.  I yawned and started walking away.

Kai: Well, that was disappointing.

I put Grimm on my back, jumping up to the roof of a tall building.  I could see the entire city from up here.  It's beautiful at night time.  For the most part.  There are a few things that are... inconvenient.  For example, the Esper Unio-

???: Don't move.

I slowly turned around to see a man with an animal head wearing a purple suit and tie, pointing a sword at my neck.  Behind him was a girl who I recognized.

Kai: It's been a while, Brynn.

Brynn: Huh?  Do I... know you from somewhere?

Kai: Possibly.  Anyways, what do you want.  And who's the cat?

The man glared at me, moving his sword closer.

Drew: My name is Drew.  And I am NOT a cat, I'm the vessel of Anubis.

Brynn was trying not to laugh.  I just smirked and shrugged my shoulders.

Kai: Ah, okay.  Kangaroo, sorry.  Regardless, what do the two of you want?

Drew: KANGAROO?

Brynn: We're here to bring you in.  The higher ups at Esper Union said you were a threat, and probably allied with Shadow Decree.

I started to chuckle, then I began to full on laugh.

Brynn: What's so funny?

I wiped tears from my eyes, trying to stop laughing.

Kai: I'm sorry, it's just that... you really think I'd ever work with those idiots?

I smiled sadistically, and purple smoke started to seep out of my jacket.  I kicked Drew away, stepping to the ledge of the building.

Kai: Now if that's all, I gotta head out.  Brynn, nice to see you again.  And nice to meet you, Kangaroo.  I bid you both adieu...

Drew: Why you little...

He ran towards me, swinging his sword, but I leaned backwards and fell off the building, falling towards the streets below.

Kai: Later!

I kicked off the building, simultaneously dissolving into a smoke cloud and dispersing.  I reappeared on a building nearby.  I watched Drew and Brynn running through the streets trying to find me.  I just laughed and started walking away, but there was suddenly an explosion near where they had just been.  I looked at the street to see a group of monsters, including one Kronos.  I debated whether or not I should help the two as they began fighting.  On one hand, I could maybe get on the good side of the Esper Union.  On the other hand, they might try to arrest me again... I sighed and stepped up to the ledge, pulling out Grimm.

Kai: Gods damn my moral compass.

I jumped off, raising my scythe and swinging it down.  I hit the pavement, embedding Grimm into the ground, and cracks spread through the road.  Purple light began to emanate from the fissures, as they spread towards the monsters.  Drew and Brynn, who by now had killed the smaller monsters, looked down as the cracks parted around them, keeping them out of the danger.  Brynn looked towards me as I ran towards the Kronos.

Brynn: What are you doing?  Are you trying to get yourself killed?

I suddenly disappeared, falling through the shadows on the ground.  I then reappeared on top of the Kronos' head as the cracks in the road spread under the monster.  The purple light already shining out of the fissures began to glow even brighter, turning into a blinding white flash.  I swung Grimm down straight into the beast's eye, at the same time as the fissures erupted into a massive blast into the creature.

Kai: Death's Tribute!

Grimm glowed a blinding red light as it absorbed the soul of the Kronos.  The light died down, and I jumped off the Kronos as it dissolved, annihilated by my blast.  I landed near Brynn and Drew who just stared at me, in disbelief that I'd not only just singlehandedly taken down a Kronos, but it only took me one shot.

Kai: Damn, that was pretty fun.  If it's alright with you, I'd like to join the Esper Union.  That should've been a sufficient audition, right?  Anyways, I suppose I should introduce myself.

I tossed Brynn a picture of the two of us as kids.  Brynn grabbed the picture, confused, then looked back and forth between it and me for a few seconds.  Suddenly her eyes widened and she gasped.

Kai: My name is Kai Tanas.  I was imbued with the power of Thanatos... the Greek God of Death.

Alright, a few things before I end the chapter.  I'm gonna try to make my own art for Kai.  It'll probably be based on some other character or OC, so don't explode at me if you see a significant resemblance to another character.  Second, I have decided that Kai needs a theme song.  And that theme song is "Ready to Die" by Andrew W.K.

Anyways, that's it.  I'll try to get a new chapter out soon.