02

TIA ALANNI BUTLER

     "On Reg, I'm finna beat the fuck out you, Tia," Jake said angrily as Tia got in the front seat of his car

     "On Reg, I'm finna beat the fuck out you, Tia," Jake said angrily as Tia got in the front seat of his car. Tia sighed, not in the mood for an argument. She'd barely slept last night because of what happened. She still had so many questions. Plus, she hadn't even eaten yet.

She looked at him with a straight face. "Jake, please. I'm so tired and I'm starvin' and I just don't feel like doin' this right now. I'm sorry I didn't text you. Just drive. Please."

Jake's face softened, "is you good? Did sum happen last night?"

Tia stared at him, debating whether or not to open her mouth. If her life was actually being threatened, she didn't want any of her friends involved, especially Jake. But knowing him, he'd stick his nose somewhere it didn't belong and find out anyways. Or worse. So she explained everything that happened from the time she left his house to the time she got into bed.

"A nigga pushed up on you, bro?" Jake seethed, furrowing his eyebrows together. "Who the fuck was it? We can handle—"

"No," the girl interrupted, waving her hand. "You ain't handlin' nothin'. And I don't know who the nigga was. Most likely one of Javell's opps. And Bakari handled it."

"That punk ass nigga was prolly the one who sent him after you on some weird shit!" Jake argued. "I thought you ain't like his ass."

"You got no proof of nothin' to be accusin' him of backdoorin' me. And I don't like him. That has nothin' to do with the situation."

"So he just magically showed up as soon as the nigga pushed up on you?"

"What the fuck is yo fuckin' problem?" Tia asked in an annoyed tone. "Why is you pressin' me about this? Who knows what could've happened if he wasn't there when he was."

"Do that not sound weird to you, Tia?" the dreadhead argued back. "Yo first day back in Chicago, Bakari the first nigga you run into. The same night, some bitch ass nigga walk up on you like you Javell or somethin' and Bakari just magically appeared. That don't sound—"

"What you say about my brother?" Anger dripped from the small girl's tone.

Jake immediately closed his mouth when he realized what he said. "Tia, I'm sorry. You know I ain't mean it like that."

"How you supposed to be my best friend but say that fucked up ass shit about my brother, nigga? You wouldn't like it if I said somethin' about Reg, now would you?" With that, Tia got out of the car and slammed the door behind her, opting to walk to school instead. She stomped down the block in anger, ignoring Jake yelling after her.