chapter 1

Kats P.O.V

Before I tell you about my messed up life, let me tell you who exactly I even am. I'm Katherine May Derk. I'm originally from Melbourne, Australia, but now I'm moving to Sydney. I have one brother, Carter John Derk, and both parents. Linda and David.

I hated it. Absolutely hated it. Why did my parents decide to move while I was in the middle of high school. I didn't make any sense.

"Kat, don't worry, you'll be fine" Carter said as I was frantically screaming while I was making breakfast.

"We're going to be the stupid new kids, how do I not just stay calm" I grabbed my black vans and slipped them on, forgetting my jacket on the way out.

I walked down the street with Carter behind me. I shivered as I kept walking, I didn't think it would be this cold in Sydney. I waited for the bus, seeing a few normal kids walking towards me.

One stood out to me though. He had bright red hair spiked out perfectly. Wearing tight black skinny jeans and a Rolling Stones shirt with a black jacket around his waist.

He was walking with another boy, too. Tall, blonde hair, wearing a Green Day shirt and some black sinnky jeans also.

I tried to stop staring and looked down at my phone, pretending that I was texting, like everyone does in awkward situations.

The bus pulled up and I tried to get the first open seat on the front of the bus to avoid all contact with people.

The whole bus was taken up as there were only 3 seats open in the front when we walked in.

"I'll go in the back, don't worry" Carter told me, walking over to sit in the seat next to a boy with brown hair and a All Time Low shirt.

I sat in the seat on the window side, waiting for someone to sit next to me.

"Hey" a quiet voice said and I turned around slowly to see the cute dyed hair boy from before.

"Hi" I said shyly, putting a pice of hair behind my ear.

"Michael" he put out his hand to me and smiled. "Kat" I shook it and tried to calm myself down, he seemed nice.

"This is my friend, Luke" he pointed at the blonde kid. He waved a hello and mentioned I was wearing a Green Day shirt like him.

"Yeah I like them" I quietly spoke. I guess this won't be so bad. They have a good taste in music, clearly, and they seem nice.

Maybe this will be better than I thought.

-----
We pulled up to the school and walked off the bus. It seemed a lot bigger than my old school.

"Where are you going first?" Michael asked, looking over at my schedule paper. "Hey! You're in basically all my classes, except math, I'll show you around" he smiled and walked me towards my new locker.

As I was opening it up Luke and the brown haired boy from the bus came over to Michael and I.

"Hey Cal, this is Kat, Kat, meet Calum" Michael said and I gave Calum a smile. "Hi" I said.

"Guy, sorry I couldn't make it to band prac-.. hey?" another boy came up to the group.

"Hey, I'm Kat, I'm the new kid" I said and smiled at him.

"Oh nice to meet you, I'm Ashton" he smiled "but as I was saying, I had to take Harry somewhere, sorry I couldn't make it" he told Luke, Cal, and Michael.

"Did you say band?" I asked, getting curious. "Yeah, we're in a band, 5 Seconds of Summer, don't ask how we got the name" Luke said laughing.

I nodded my head as I saw Carter coming over to me. "Hey Cal! I see you met my sister as well" he said motioning towards us. We both nodded "you didn't say your sister was this cute" he whispered and everyone looked at him. "Don't" Carter warned, being his over protective self.

We walked in out own directions to class."Michael, you're late again, one more time and you get detention!" an old lady screamed as we walked into the class.

"Sorry Mrs.Krate, I was showing her how to get to class" he pointed at me and took his seat.

"Oh you must be Katherine, come in, chose any seat" she instantly seemed nicer and pointed at the only few seats left. "Thank you, and um it's Kat" I said taking a seat next to Michael in the back.
---
When the bell rang after third period, I walked back to my locker. I opened it up and stared putting in books and getting new ones.

"Baby sis.." Carter said coming up to me. "I'm not a baby anymore Carter, you know I don't like that" I said through gritted teeth. He's only about a year older then me, he's been calling me that for years.

"Whatever, come on we're going to lunch now" he said closing my locker for me and walking down the hall. "I'm not hungry" I mumble taking out my phone.

"Kat, you have to eat" he said stopping in his tracks and looking down at me.

"I'm fine" I said smiling up at him and walked into the cafeteria. I saw Ashton and Calum sitting at a table and went over to them while Carter went to get his food.

"Hey Kat" Ashton said, his mouth full if sandwich. "You're not getting lunch?" he asked.

"No I um, had a big breakfast" I lied but smiled at him and he nodded understandingly.

"You have science after this right?" Cal asked while I was playing with one of my bracelets. "Yeah, with Mr.Joe, you have him too?" I smiled, thankfully having someone nice in my classes.

"Yeah" he smiled, "we do a lot of partner things by the way, just a warning" he added.

Oh great. I hate having to do group work for anything, especially now being the new kid.