Chapter 2: shock or surprise?

Chapter 2

"SHAWN?" No way could it be him right? Right? He smirked. "Finally. For a hot second I thought you'd forgotten all about me, Addiekins." I stood in shock for a moment before quickly jumped over the counter and falling into his arms.

"Shawn! Oh my god what are you doing here? I thought I'd never see you again!"

He grinned as he stroked my hair. "I had to come back and visit my favorite girl" He said in a low, raspy, sexy tone. Wait.. sexy? NO! This is just Shawn, my childhood best friend. Definitely nothing more..... but something was different between us now.

I was suddenly aware of how close we were, how I could smell his mint shampoo and feel his hot breath on my neck, how I could hear his heart beat. And if I turned my head slightly, our lips would touch-

"ADDIE WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH THAT CUSTOMER?" Nicole rudely interrupted, looking absolutely pissed standing in front of us. Honestly, what was her deal? "Nicole! He's my friend, calm down. Jeez."

"If he's your, quote on quote friend" She made air quotes " then why are you looking at him like you want to kiss him? Huh?" I turned red as Shawn tried to stifle his laughter. I lightly pushed him away and walked up to Nicole. Now I was the one pissed off.

"Number 1 shut up. Number 2 YES he's my FRIEND, and I haven't seen him since grade 4 so is it okay If I get your PERMISSION to hug each other?" I ask sarcastically in a sassy tone.

"Fine. whatever... don't come running back after I fire you." She huffed. I just stared at her. "Does that mean I'm fired?" I ask quietly. "Bingo" she puffed as she casually strolled away from this disastrous news.. I collapsed to the ground and put my head in my hands.

"Addie?" I heard Shawn softly say. "no, it's all my fault... I s-shouldn't have *hic* talked b-back. Now I wont get my paycheck and it's the thing I was d-depending on to pay my rent." I was starting to hyperventilate.

What was I going to do? I would have nowhere to live.

"Addie, this is NOT your fault. we will work this out, okay? Ask your parents to stay with them for a bit."