Glamour at Tamarama

A/N: So... I'm still alive?

I can't believe that it's been 16 months since I updated. I'm so sorry for neglecting this story for such a long time. The first 2.5 sections have been written for months, but then I got distracted by other fandoms, writer's block has been a pain in my neck all year and a bunch of other things, both in terms of writing and real life in general, have taken priority.

Still, I promise this story isn't abandoned. I do plan to continue and finish it – it might just take an age or two :)  

Massive thanks to all of you who read this and the first instalment and who come back to it. I love your comments - I read all of them, even if I don't always have time to respond - and as usual, if you have any suggestions or ideas, let me know!

"Hey Mellie, how'd you feel about featuring in a photoshoot?"

Melanie blinked and turned to stare at Kerrbox, dishtowel and half-dried tupperware momentarily forgotten in her hands. "What?"

Snickers and laughter rang out in the tower at her confused and horrified expression.

Grinning, Kerrbox elaborated: "Australia's Next Topmodel is gonna have a photoshoot over at Tama and they want to include lifeguards. You're rostered for Tama the next few weeks."

"Uh... no. No, the people in the photos need to look pretty. I- I won't have to, right?"

"Nah yeah, nobody's gonna make you do anything, darling", Harries assured her with his winning smile, ruffling her hair and plucking the tupperware dish from her hand. "You can watch us make a fool of ourselves around all those gorgeous women. But you gotta help me practice my Walk."

He proceeded to sashay along the window front, affecting a suitably over-the-top version of the catwalk strut and tossing imaginary hair over his shoulder. It made everyone cheer and whistle, Kerrbox nearly tripping over his own two feet as he cackled.

Melanie laughed, flustered blush still on her cheeks, and clapped when Harries came flouncing back towards her. "You'll be ready for the runway in no time."

***

The days flew by and before the youngest lifeguard knew it, she'd been at Tamarama for a week and one morning, she and Terry were closing half the beach for the photo shoot.

"Good thing Hoppo talked them out of shooting by The Twins", Corey Oliver commented as they set up the flags. "I wouldn't have wanted to pull models or photographers from between those rocks."

"Mhm. Would've been way too dangerous."

The currents around the rock formation the locals called The Twins were strong and treacherous. Rescues were extremely risky, even with flippers, goggles and a rescue can or tube. Pretty much every lifeguard with a few years of service had lost a patient in there and many, if not most, of the locals knew of someone who had fallen victim to The Twins.

The ocean was presenting a neat swell, clean sets rolling in that ranged between knee and waist-high, perfect for casual surfing. According to the forecast, the swell would get bigger, rougher and more unpredictable in the afternoon, though, so the lifeguards expected to have to pull a couple of surfers who overestimated themselves from the waves and to warn people away from the rip that often ran in the north corner.

A local teen being dumped by an unexpectedly large wave resulted in the first incident of the day. He got out of the impact zone under his own steam, but ended up getting washed to shore in serious pain.