Chapter 12 - Injuries

Word Count: 2181

Florence had spent the next week and a half getting back on her feet. Polly and Ada visited a few times, checking in to make sure she was okay. The bruises had faded slightly, enough to not be glaring but still noticeable.

Florence was beyond thankful that her nursing uniform covered the marks. No one could question the marks or her state of mind which could have led to her career being jeopardised

Throughout that time, she hadn't seen Tommy once. She felt mostly indifferent, but something tugged inside her, telling her to feel upset about it.

She wouldn't lie to herself: she was slightly craving his presence despite previous events. But something pulled her toward Tommy. Something about him was comforting, warm... safe somehow.

Josiah had approached her a few times. He offered to walk her home or have a drink with him at the Garrison. The two got on well and it sometimes helped Florence just talk to someone after a long shift on her way home.

He would usually try to explain cars to her, and Florence loved it. It took her mind from her work, from everything that had happened. Josiah would ask about some nursing tips and the two would reminisce about the nicer moments of the war they shared together.

In all honesty, Florence was beginning to dislike having to walk home alone. She disliked the days Josiah wasn't there to greet her at the steps of the hospital.

She enjoyed spending time with him. It felt good to have a friend outside of work and family. But there was something about Josiah that was addicting. Whenever he wasn't around she'd think about Tommy. He distracted her from that; distracted her from the craving.

She didn't allow herself to dwell on it too much, opting to focus on reading and her career instead.

..

Florence sat on her couch, still in her nursing uniform, skimming through a romance book as she tried to find her favourite scene.

It was the moment the two main characters finally confessed to one another; finally allowed themselves to be together.

It brought her warmth and comfort. She loved reading about other couples, loved fantasising about her own life and experiences.

Knocks sounded through the house. It was hurried, scared. Florence dropped her book on the couch and rushed to her door. She opened it to find Finn, panting with a worried look on his face.

"Polly... urgent..."

"Finn, take a few deep breaths for me, yeah? I'll do it with you" she instructed in a delicate tone and she knelt in front of him. He listened, watching her as they took five deep breaths. "Olay, now tell me what happened."

"Tommy, John and Arthur got into a fight at The Garrison." Her eyes widened. "Polly said I needed to get you."

Florence nodded along as the words left Finn's mouth. It must have been serious considering Polly thought it was urgent. She took a deep breath and evaluated everything.

"Do you know if they have a medical kit with them?" He shook his head. "Okay, okay. Right, you wait here while I grab my things then we can go help your brothers, yeah?" He nodded his head.

Florence rushed around her house, grabbing her medical bag, throwing on her shoes, and desperately tying up her hair. She grabbed her coat from near the front door and locked the door as she left. Her and Finn raced to the Garrison. The building was unusually quiet, something that made Florence's nerves spike.

If she were being honest with herself, the idea of being in an enclosed space with a bunch of rowdy, drunk men wasn't the most comforting idea. The bruises on her neck seemed to inflame at the thought of it...